Is there any one recourse one can use for grammar?

I already know about all the Ultimate Recourse List, but too be honest its all quite confusing with all the different sources. So I am curious if there is any one good source for learning most of the basic grammar.
Thanks!

4 Likes

The Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar? :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I would recommend simply picking a popular textbook, like Genki, and working through it systematically.
If you’re looking for a free resource, maybe have a look at Tae Kim’s guide?

6 Likes

What about this 

dictionary

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: Durtles are the subject of all the example sentences.

If durtles are not your thing then the standard edition is great, as mentioned by @Belthazar - if this is the one they were referring to - I like to flick through and find a grammar point I’ve encountered in the wild, but I’m not sure about, and then read the example sentences.

1 Like

It’s probably a great reference, but not that great for reading systematically through as a new learner.

2 Likes

I disagree. Because that’s exactly what I did, as a new learner. Cover to cover. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t really see how that is an argument. For the average learner it’s going to be demotivating and hard to get through. And not that efficient use of your time (or useful, but that is more of a personal opinion).

But I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree to avoid derailing this thread. Just wanted to offer a different perspective, since just trying to read grammar like that was what has killed my motivation many times when starting to learn languages.

I really hoped I would not get instigating blanket statements as a reply.

1 Like

Ah, you made the blanket statement. I responded with anecdotal evidence. :stuck_out_tongue:

But in all seriousness, I’m the type who likes to know why the grammar does what it does. One of the things I found a bit unsatisfying with learning grammar from the textbook is that it tended to go “use it like this, because I said so, that’s why”. And yeah, I know it’s mean to be a reference text rather than a bedtime read, but if anything else, it’s much easier to know what to look for if I’ve got a fair idea of what’s in there already. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Honestly, seeing as you are asking for resources on the basic grammar, working your way through a textbook or similar is probably your best bet, as it will teach you those grammar points in an order that builds on itself. I’d definetly use The Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar as a reference, that thing is a God-send, but I’d follow along with a text book or a youtube grammar course to build your grammar foundation in a logical way. I’d just take a look through the different textbooks in the master list and settle on one that matches closest with how you want to study, they’re pretty much all good in their own way, but some are better for self-study, some for classrooms, some drill deep, some just give an overview. Find one and start with that, you can always change your mind of it doesn’t connect with your way of studying :wink:

I literally read mine in bed before I go to sleep :sweat_smile:

Also on a side note - it is a really cute sized book ! :sweat_smile:

I kept on trying to slog through the text books - I have Genki 1 & 2, and JFBP 1 & 2 - but found them hard work. I think they are really useful in a classroom setting. I am also someone who likes to know the mechanics of a grammar point. But for a first step - I would say you can’t go wrong.

However you did ask for a single resource? and i’m assuming you are a beginner? in which case i would recommend Bunpro - similar to wanikani, but for grammar - arranges grammar according to JPLY level, and has a review system. although I just use it as a reference. It is paid, but there is a free version if you wanted to give it a whirl. It links to other online resources for explanations (how I found Japanese ammo on youtube), and has example sentences with audio !

That’s hopefully a more useful answer than my first ! haha

2 Likes

You reading it like that is not even really evidence of how good of an idea it is. :sweat_smile:

But I understand it can be attractive for a certain type of learner.

@kipdo Just so I actually mention a resource I really liked a ‘Handbook of Japanese Grammar’, that is also a reference book, but goes a bit lighter on the explanations but provides a lot more examples.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.