Is there a script to reorder based on JLPT levels?

Good day you wonderful people!

I would love to find a script that might reorder kanjis and vocab based on N5-N1.

Maybe that torpedoes a main component on Wanikani, however, I feel as though it would be super useful for my personal revision purposes as I’ve found WK great for its mnemonics, its review sessions are easier as it tells you if you’re right or wrong, and you just got to show up and do your reviews (I struggled with Anki to learn the kanji as I couldn’t type them out like I can on WK which helps solidify remembering them for me).

I’ve found a reorder script previously, however, that orders by levels and not by JLPT. I really want to find a way to use Wanikani to focus on JLPT orders specifically though I I understand WK orders them based on complexity.

Does any kind hearted individual know if there is a way to rearrange for JLPT or if you can share any tips for a new strategy to study readings and meanings for the JLPT kanji if it’s not possible? (I’ll even take suggestions on how to better remember things from Anki :slight_smile:)

Many thanks!

1 Like

Why? It is more or less in order by default.

Lvl 16: know all JLPT 5
Lvl 27: All JLPT 4
Lvl: 51: All JLPT 3
LvL 51: All JLPT 2
Lvl 60: 80% of JLPT 1

7 Likes

If interested in Kitsun, I have a 2 kanji decks: one for mean/reading where you can type your answer and have hyperlinks to WK for the the mnemonics and second where you can practice handwriting (again with WK hyperlinks). They are all tagged by N-level order and have a complete list of the Joyo kanji plus a little more (2210 entries) so more than here. You can also filter via your WK level progress here. Descriptions are in this post below:

I agree the order is not optimal, the first 1000 frequent should be in the first 30 levels at least, not stick so much N1 kanji in the 20s (as most are not frequent to reinforce via immersion) and certainly not put N3/2 in the 50s. But the current order is a smarter business model and in fairness, gets more to finish to the end.

2 Likes

Sounds like you mean reordering lessons not reviews here. There is no way to change the default order of how WK teaches kanji and vocab, i.e. by level. there are other learning tools though that allows a freer way of learning kanji out there.

2 Likes

it’s actually even more in order than that makes it out to be (according to wkstats):
after level 10, you know all but 1 of the JLPT5 kanji
after level 18, all but 2 of the JLPT4 kanji
etc.

if you want to go strictly by jlpt levels, WK can’t do that. there is no way of moving kanji between the different WK levels. on the other hand, there are no official kanji lists for the jlpt, so it would always be at least some guesswork as to which kanji to learn.

6 Likes

Oh my god, your kitsun reading and meaning deck is literally exactly what I wanted!!! I’ve activated the cards based on JLPT level and am working my way through them :slight_smile: Thank you so much, you’re the best! :smiley:

2 Likes

Exactly. There’s no one who can precisely say what is in what level anyway.

4 Likes

And yet here we are 13 years after they stopped publishing official lists and the notion still won’t die. :joy:

4 Likes

Mostly because anywhere there are tests, there are also people who only want to study to the test.

1 Like

It’s understandable for people to want to study by the levels of the test… but to say “I’ll choose this resource rather than this resource because the level matches the test” when no resource can actually claim to match the test 100% is… less understandable.

2 Likes

We know the specific N-levels are not entirely accurate, that is really isn’t important. But it doesn’t mean to abandon kanji order of importance all together just because there isn’t an official list. In my experience, the first ~1000 (N5-N2) is more practical than the first 1000 on WK for sure.

Consider these kanji which are buried in the 40s on WK but are pretty common: 鋭, 泊, 珍, 疲, 歳

Then consider these kanji levels 10-20s on WK, maybe not the most urgent for a beginner: 虚, 冒, 渉, 僧, 善

This is just a sample, there are more. Of course none of this matters if you are advanced learner using WK or you plan go through the system in a year, not as important. And the list isn’t entirely upside-down either, there are more good choices than bad. But WK has become a first stop resource for many here starting the language and if immersion reading really the key to locking down not only the kanji, but also vocab associated then some of the early content is not going to get re-enforced for while if using beginner-intermediate materials (not mention the leeches). I like the sentences here, I’m probably one of the few that do and actually study them separately even though they get weird. I find them very helpful except I never would do that while using WK (too hard to digest at that time not to mention little consideration if they the kanji used is already taught or not which seems like a common complaint).

No one is suggesting people should abandon the idea of how things are ordered. WK has their reasons for ordering the way they do, which is guided by the radical and mnemonics system.

I remember countless times I encountered kanji that were in “higher” levels according to all these websites when I actually took the JLPT. So, maybe I’m just biased against the lists that claim to match JLPT levels.

If people wanted to order by like… frequency or something, that’s at least a tangible thing based on something we can evaluate.

You are going to need more than that for N1, right?

1 Like

Typo, I meant N2. Regardless of test prep, I’ve found N5-N2 unofficial list have been more or less a reasonable frequency list in my experience regardless if the specific levels match which never do. Probably some frequency list on N1 arena would be helpful as well. However, I can say I had to fix some of the learning in the early WK stages as the exposure frequency some of those kanji/vocab was not strong enough have good reinforcement on a regular basis. Likewise, going through writing kanji in un-official JLPT order has been far more palatable and noticeably more practical. I know it’s not a perfect frequency list (probably no such thing as it’s always content dependent), but a smoother ride than WK for sure.

You know the Kanken material better than most to comment, but from what I’m glazing over it looks like a few suprising choices not necessarily on frequency but similar radical usage for testing purposes (assuming this is an official list below). If it is an elementary curriculum, then that is interesting…perhaps it is to unscramble similar looking kanji issues.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.