Is taking this long even acceptable

Thank you again for all of the replies. I have doubled down and have cleared out reviews twice a day every day. Gonna take a bit to learn my pace for lessons but yeah doing this more frequently like this is not only faster but like my accuraccy went up like 15% as i actually still remember stuff.

I’m just going to try to keep with this, careful not to get in too far over my head or not to get discouraged if i do. But yeah i probably was going too slow and this should be better for me.

And yeah i know wanikani is not comprehensive to Japanese as a whole but also i was told i should wait til i get to level 10 to start learning grammar stuffs.
(Should probably really finally learn katakana tho if anyone knows a good resource to get that down)

4 Likes

You’ve already received some great advice so I won’t repeat that except to say that I agree that there is no one perfect pace, but if you go too slowly you begin to defeat the purpose of the SRS system. Definitely prioritize reviews and try to do those twice a day.

But I’d also suggest trying to get to the bottom of why you are going slowly. Is it because you feel overwhelmed? Are you struggling to remember new lessons? Are you simply busy and struggling to find time? Identifying what’s holding you back could help you figure out what’s best for you moving forward.

If it’s that you’re feeling overwhelmed or struggling to remember new kanji, I wonder if taking a break and focusing on foundational grammar and vocab wouldn’t help you in the long run. I would disagree about your point of reaching level 10 before learning grammar. I don’t know if that’s something that’s floated around these forums or if you heard that somewhere else, but I honestly think a solid foundation in Japanese will make learning kanji much easier. It’s hard to learn something when it feels completely abstract. The way wanikani teaches kanji and then vocab using that kanji means for you, you’re having to learn a lot of things all at once.

Studying basic Japanese will help you understand better how kanji work to form words and how those words combine and sometimes conjugate to form phrases and sentences. Much of what you encounter in the early levels would be familiar words and phrases, and then you’d just be focusing on learning how to read them rather than the kanji, reading, and meaning all at the same time. You’ll just be applying the kanji to things you already know.

Just food for thought!

2 Likes

Hopefully this makes you feel better about your progress. It took me over 2000 days and a lockdown or two to get serious about wanikani. I now do it twice a day at 8am and at 8pm. Keep it up! You can do it!

5 Likes

@Magikarpador - it’s been about 6 months since you started this thread. how is everything going? feel like you’re getting the hang of it?

3 Likes

Just in case it still helps anyone, if you tap/click the level 1 there, it won’t be included in your average so you can get a more realistic estimate going forward…

1 Like

Hi, thanks for checking up. So I was going to make a follow up thread after i had a bit more results to share but uh

yeah im starting to do better now. I started medication for my ADHD and um, gosh I had no idea I needed it so much like I feel like I can actually think now. I’m still not going quite as fast as I’d like to be… but i think thats more of an accuracy problem than a work problem. But uh it’s still miles better than before and I’m gonna do my best to keep this up and try to be maybe just a bit faster and more consistent if possible.

11 Likes

Wow - you’re flying through the last few levels! Will pass me pretty soon at that pace :). Congrats and glad things are going well!

1 Like

Sorry to get a bit off-topic here, but what is the name of that Level-up diagram script?

I’ve taken a long time to get to where I am, but I don’t regret it. I’m living the life I want, studying when I can, however I can. Wanikani is nice to do during my downtime at work, or when I want to feel productive when I am bored.

I think the first few levels don’t really matter, because you can do those on a “free trial” basis up to 3 or 4. The parts after that should be more of what you focus on, since you will most likely be paying for those sections of your time here. Find your reasons why you slipped away from studying and either correct them or change the way you think about study.

I have seen so much advice given about keeping apprentice items under 100 and I was always like “whatever I can handle it, whatever the number”, so I would start lessons as soon as I received them. But then when I came back from a long break, I realized I forgot a lot of things and had way too many items moved back to my apprentice category. Once it got back down to that sweet spot, it felt a lot more manageable and now I usually sit between 150-200 in apprentice and can deal with that easily.

Anyways, this is only Kanji practice. If you want to become fluent, you need many other methods to help you on that path to fluency. Kanji only will not get you there alone.

<3 Good luck on your journey!

2 Likes

Thanks! Couldn’t find it myself :slight_smile:

1 Like

API-key can be generated by going to WK, press your profile and go to “Settings” and “API-tokens” and generate a key and paste it into wkstats. I usually check out Dashboard and Charts → JLPT to check where I’ve gotten in terms of kanji knowledge in JLPT. Checking those stats from time to time keeps me sane.

1 Like

My pace right now is doing 20 lessons a day and clearing out reviews every day.

My accuraccy is bad tho like 70%-90% range usually. Decent bit is typos (Seriously if didnt type in the hiragana right i think it should be assumed that wasnt my genuine guess) tho theres a lot of things where i recognize something based on specific traits i remember and then somethinf new comes along that happens to have those traits and i start getting things mixed up. And someitmes i just cannot think. But feel like i need to work on that to get through stuffs faster.

I do plan on starting genki soon tho. But aa idk it’s kinda exciting. Like idk with getting a bunch of the most common kanji and vocab down and with starting on some sentence fundamentals soon like idk i feel like one day Im just gonna pass a hump and can like start picking up more japanese just from reading japanese eheh.

2 Likes

That accuracy isn’t bad at all, you need to get them wrong in order to start getting them right. Honestly as long as your average is above 75% I think you should be good.

If you think you have the self control needed, there is a script which has an ignore answer button for those annoying typos. They were really annoying me too so I started to use that and if you’re disciplined it will save you a lot of headache.

20 lessons a day is quite a lot, but certainly not impossible. If you feel the reviews are starting to pile up to unmanageable levels I recommend cutting that back though. For me I would say clearing reviews each day is the most important thing.

Big congrats on the change in pace. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Thanks, it’s really nice to see this overview, especially the JLPT overview indeed. Only now I see that apparently I briefly checked Wanikani 2 years ago. I actually started with WK about 3 weeks ago. Now my level 1 shows 620 days :smiley:

2 Likes

I am curious about that script actually. Er would it still work on mobile?

I don’t know if the script also works on mobile (and I’m sure someone else can and will answer that question :slight_smile: ), but some of the apps have the “ignore” feature as a built-in option - I am using the Kakumei app and it has that function :grin:

It’s usually safe to assume that scripts don’t work on mobile. They tend to work via browser extensions, and browser extension support on mobile is iffy at best - I think Firefox is the only mobile browser that allows them in the first place.

1 Like

Haha, cute video/song.

Oh, by the way, there’s also a thread some of us are active on about ADHD you may be interested in perusing/posting in, if you like. :hugs:

The ADHD Thread

1 Like

Yes!
Keep the habit as best you can, and if life conditions ever open up a window where you can speed up, you will. But, either way, you’ll eventually get there.