Is my progress too slow?

I’m about to suggest you try something different in wanikani to see how you like it- if you don’t want to or hate the idea then no pressure!

I think you should, for the rest of level 18, pretend you are a speed runner. By your screenshot, you are probably about 3.5 days from levelling up- your job is to work out exactly when you can level up at maximum speed, and exactly hit the review intervals needed to do this, while getting all essential reviews correct. Treat it like a maths equation. As usual, jprsperia has you covered on how to do this, his guide is essential reading for everyone: My Journey of 368 days (+ The Ultimate Guide for WK 📖 )

I’m proposing this approach for two reasons. First, you’re doing heaps of work (congrats! 150 reviews per day is a great commitment!) and your overall accuracy is solid enough to progress heaps faster than you are, so I think a mini speed run will call attention to how you can optimise the timing of your sessions to go faster with minimal additional effort.

Second, the reason you’re stuck on this level for so long is a hyper- specific accuracy problem- you need to get 5 reviews right. Only five!! I think by learning to see how important a small number of items are to your progress, you’ll realise the benefit of a bit of extra practice to review those items.

The teen levels are hard in wanikani because they challenge you to do specific focusing on items you repeatedly get wrong repeatedly, aka ‘leeches’. There are lots and lots of ways to work on leeches, from writing them out by hand to installing scripts. You’ll need to find ways that work for you, But the aim to focus and spend targeted time on items you get wrong so they don’t drag down your overall progress.

Good luck, you’re doing great to get as far as you have, hope you manage to find enjoyable ways of learning outside wanikani so you can apply all this newfound knowledge!

4 Likes