Is it rude/improper for an older man(40s) to refer to a younger woman(20s) as Ojou Chan ( 'お嬢'ちゃん)

I was wondering is this a real life thing such as a parent to their friends children or is that only in anime?

3 Likes

16 Likes

According to Japanese: the spoken language, page 260 (my ancient textbook: my emphasis):

-tyan̄ is the familiar, diminutive equivalent of -san̄, usually affixed to the given name of children and to that of young adults a a term of intimacy. Like -san̄, it is never used in reference to oneself, or to a member of the in-group when talking to the out-group.

At age 20, I believe you are reaching the absolute very edge of what could be called young adults and it’s getting kinda weird tbh. I believe it’s safer to go with ozyôosan̄ unless you’re in quite familiar company.

EDIT: Not to discard the absolute banger “name”-san̄ as a replacement for any personal referent which 9 out of 10 times when talking to out-group people works every time.

EDITED AGAIN: to add the exception of you being the 60’s hit singer and actor Kyu Sakamoto addressing a mannequin.

5 Likes

That romanization is giving me headache :sweat_smile:

13 Likes

Yeah, it’s Japanese: The Spoken Language. They just straight-up invented their own romanisation system. “It’s more accurate!”

That’s been causing many of us pain since the dark days of eGoooott.

8 Likes

As creative and brilliant as Mrs. Jorden was, JSL romanization is very similar to other systems that already existed at the time (kunrei/nihon) and I’d have to say it’s misleading to say she invented a system. More like stuck pitch accent and nasalization onto an existing system honestly.

This is all neither here nor there in a topic about how to address ladies. :smirk_cat:

Edit: Ms - > Mrs.

1 Like

Kunrei-shiki doesn’t make my eyes bleed. But regardless, you shouldn’t be relying on romaji anyway.

1 Like

I half agree with this (there is after all a reason to me learning all these kanji beyond bragging rights) , but the question came in the shape of roman letters, and it would seem amiss to answer in kana.

1 Like

eGoooott will be forever burned into my mind. I remember decoding it and rejecting it, assuming that I had surely made an error somewhere… and then it turned out to be the right answer.

2 Likes

Well, it turned out to be the accepted answer, anyway. I still refuse to believe that it was the right answer.

1 Like

I kinda miss those days. WaniKani should send us on another wild durtle chase.

2 Likes