Is it possible to not do radicals?

I was thinking of coming back to WaniKani as I have a lifetime subscription so I reset my account.

But since I stopped I’ve gone and learned about the radicals separately and I don’t want to learn the Wanikani versions of them.

Can I somehow do WaniKani without the radicals or is it possible to do Wanikani learning the actual radicals instead of the special wanikani radicals?

1 Like

You can add a synonym like “a” for all the radicals to not have to learn them. Though all the vocab and kanji mnemonics are based on the radicals from Wanikani so they would be useless for you as well.
Skipping the radicals is not possible in any way AFAIK.

6 Likes

You can add synonym to match the version you have learn.

10 Likes

That’s a good point, it would probably be better on finding other ways to learn the kanji and vocab

2 Likes

You could potentially make your own mnemonics for each kanji based on the radicals you learned, basically at this point, the SRS, vocab, and some radicals that are in line with what you learned and their own associated kanji is what you’d gain from continuing WK.

Is that possible to have “a” for all of them? That is great news as I don’t need to learn radicals or kanji but I just need the vocabulary. I think I added a synonym to a kanji but it wasn’t accepted one. Actually to me learning a single kanji is not an efficient way to learn as it is more difficult to learn one single word than as in vocabulary you can actually use and put more meaning to and it’s impossible to know whether it is asking for on’yomi or kun’yomi so it’s absolutely wasting my time to have so many reviews that I just look up the answers. Thanks for the suggestion.

You could theoretically use the API to loop through all radicals or even all kanji & add the synonym “a” to all. Whether you should do that is a whole other matter…

1 Like

If you don’t need to learn radicals or kanji, WK is probably not the appropriate tool for you.

3 Likes

I think so, but you’d still be required to input the reading for Kanji. Only the meaning would give you the quick ‘a’ complete. At that point it may as well be faster to remember the English equivalent to help solidify vocabulary :grin:

Tofugu has an article on how to spot them- bit more than halfway down the page ~

A two-kanji (or more) compound usually takes the on’yomi readings. These are called jukugo 熟語じゅくご. There are no hanging-on hiragana (okurigana) sticking out from the word.

Most words that consist of a single kanji, sitting all alone with no okurigana, are read with the kun’yomi reading. These include nouns and they make up the majority of beginner words you learn from textbooks and in classrooms.

While less common than single kanji words that use the kun’yomi reading, there are many instances of single kanji using the on’yomi reading. This is especially true for single kanji numbers, but there are plenty of other examples as well.

If a kanji has hiragana attached to it, it almost always uses the kun’yomi reading. These kana suffixes are called okurigana 送り仮名おく がな and they are mostly adjectives and verbs, but they can be used for nouns too.

The article goes over it in more detail. There’s some exceptions which need to be learned, but it’s usually things such as “all body parts” or “all numbers.”

2 Likes

Thanks for reply to me… but… I have no idea what API :sweat_smile: I’m very much computer illiterate.

Thanks for your reply. I think I read this article in the very beginning but when it’s a single kanji I found it not efficient to learn/remember. When it’s in vocabulary it’s much easier.

If you want to skip all radicals and kanji, I don’t think that wanikani is the right tool for you (sorry, wanikani). Nothing would remain of the idea behind wanikani (providing a consisting system for radicals and kanji and using words to show the kanji in action).

2 Likes

I have an override answer script and I pretty much correct all my radicals since this is my second time around and I rarely get them wrong (and when I do, it can set me back hours or days on my level). If you were to take out radicals completely, that would make all the levels like the fast levels in the 40s and 50s, where you can finish in like 3 days. I’m not sure if that’s what you’re looking for, but if you don’t mind waiting to guru radicals before unlocking the rest of your kanji for the level, then creating synonyms or overriding wrong answers is easy enough.

For kanji reviews, the reading they want is generally the reading that is most commonly used in jukugo vocab (on’yomi), and for kanji where that reading is rarely used, it wants kun’yomi. I think skipping that step would make it much harder to memorize vocabulary, but I could be wrong.

But if you already know all the kanji you need and only want to memorize vocabulary, you might do better with Anki or something else. WaniKani teaches vocabulary mainly to help memorize and contextualize kanji, not the other way around. It won’t teach you all the vocabulary you need to know, and the order is totally arbitrary based on when it teaches what kanji.

1 Like

Wanikani vocabulary is pretty supbar all things considered, so if you are going to ignore everything else and just learn vocab from a list there are better options like the core 2.3k deck or a deck on jpdb.io for something you want to read.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.