Intermediate Japanese Book Club // Now Reading: セーラー服と機関銃

It’s that time of the year again!

We are looking for nominations! We only have 12 suggestions right now; 11 if we exclude the one that always get 0% votes. It would really help to get some more.

Random polls

To celebrate our 10th book, how about some polls on the books we’ve read?

Which books have you read with the club?

• No. 6
  • Autumn Prison
  • An Unexpected Conclusion in 5 Minutes: Red Nightmares
  • The Devil is a Part-Timer!
  • Kino’s Journey
  • Convenience Store Woman
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
  • Kitchen
  • Hyouka
  • Night Market

0 voters

What’s your favorite book of the list? (Regardless of whether you read it with the club or not)

• No. 6
  • Autumn Prison
  • Kino’s Journey
  • Kitchen
  • Hyouka
  • Night Market
  • None!

0 voters

Conversely, what’s your least favorite book of the list? (Regardless of whether you read it with the club or not)

• No. 6
  • Autumn Prison
  • Kino’s Journey
  • Kitchen
  • Hyouka
  • Night Market
  • They are all great!

0 voters

Feel free to also comment on what you think of the organization, what you’d change, which book was the easiest/hardest, etc.

9 Likes

More like, what books have I partially read with the club?

8 Likes

Oh, this is such a nice idea!

4 Likes

I’ll allow it!

4 Likes

I wish this was multiple choice! :sob: Conbini Ningen and Kitchen are pretty tied for me.

4 Likes

Yes, I also wanted to vote for multiple books, so I made it single choice on purpose.
I’m weird like that.

9 Likes

I read only 2 books sooooooo… Will I be the only one with N.6? I wonder if the people who read it with me are still active in the bookclub.

2 Likes

Four of which are mine… :thinking:
Doesn’t really make sense to have more nominations than votes in the poll, I guess…

Maybe I should move the manga to the Beginner Book Club, though? Opinions, anybody?

Or maybe less? We could have a poll that only features Your Name, so that we can get over and done with it for good :rofl:

OTOH even the Beginner Book Club got their eternal 2nd place pick sorted, so there is still hope…

3 Likes

The only current nominations that interest me at all are All You Need Is Kill and 博士の愛した数式, but I don’t think I want to read either of those at the moment…

1 Like

Why not propose a book you actually want to read? :wink:

3 Likes

:man_shrugging:

The only book that I own that I might nominate is 人類は衰退しました.

2 Likes

There are a couple books on the current list that I’d definitely try to read if they get selected (though I know I’ve had trouble tracking down one of them).

I have the following on my shelf already, and could write up proposals if any of them caught someone else’s interest.

3 Likes

I would like to nominate Bakemonogatari (化物語), but I haven’t gone through the sample pages yet. All my knowledge of it comes from the anime series, but I love the dialogues and folklore used in it. I’ll try to read it a bit to make a better evaluation later.

My understanding is that this is supposed to be incredibly difficult to read. Also, given the poor reception of the abusive nature of the main character in 涼宮ハルヒの憂鬱, I don’t think 化物語 would be well received either. It’s also really long from my quick look on Amazon.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, ファーストラブ and スリ look interesting to me (thanks for the rec ;P) - but you should recommend the one(s) you want to read most/you think fit the club well. ^^

2 Likes

Yeah, I can definitely agree with all that you’ve said just based on the anime itself. I will save it for my private reading :joy:

5 Likes

Well, it’s nice that each book has at least one reader still around, at the very least.

Thank you. We would be in a tragic situation otherwise :joy:

I guess I should nominate something as well… but my past nominations didn’t do too well, so…

Why not?
At the same time, I guess I’ll just look at the list of recent winners of the 「このライトノベルがすごい! 」 prize and see if I can find something fun… but at a glance it’s kinda meh…

Much higher literary value than what I was looking at :rofl:
At a quick glance, I’d read ファーストラヴ :slight_smile:

Seconded!

2 Likes

In the case of All You Need Is Kill, I just don’t feel like dealing with all the war terminology at the moment. For the other one, I don’t know. I’d read it if it won I think, but I wouldn’t vote for it.

Or are you saying why not nominate 人類は衰退しました?

1 Like

I started reading No. 6 but lost interest. I don’t think I joined any of the books after that

1 Like

All of the above I guess.

1 Like