コンビニ人間 Home Thread (Intermediate Book Club)

Hey, welcome! Let me start by saying, this book is a very good choice as you can see in the most recent popularity poll:

(TL;DR it is the most popular book of the club and nobody disliked it)

For your questions:

• In Intermediate book club we usually don’t do vocab sheets any more because each member’s knowledge is just too diverse. So I am afraid there might not be such a thing…

• For Kindle, as far as I know you need a separate Amazon JP account and then you need to switch back and forth between that and your other account - does not sound pleasant to me but maybe there are workarounds. (Please can anybody add to this - I’m not a Kindle user…)

• You can get the eBook from https://bookwalker.jp/ - it’s legal, no fiddling, and works quite well (at least for me). It has a reader app that you are required to use (no PDF download or somesuch) and which is quite nice, albeit a bit slow. It integrates with the iOS dictionaries, so you can enable whichever built-in dictionary you like to use and then look up words by holding your finger on them. Other people use BookLive and also say good things about their reader app, but I don’t know anything about it. (I think there was a poll some time regarding which service people use, and I think bookwalker was the most popular, but don’t let that hold you back if you prefer the other one. They always have free books so you can create an account with both, get a free book and try them out for a bit before you do a lock-in.) Also there are some threads with explanations and stuff (the website is not fully translated to English but there is a walk-through somewhere), so if you just search for the name, you will find more information.

• Kanji: Once you use an ebook reader you can look up all kanji so that’s settled :slight_smile:

• Grammar: Of course native books can never be judged by JLPT levels, so you will always encounter even N1 grammar once in a while, but I think when I read Konbini ningen I was at about the same level grammar-wise or maybe a little bit further (but still below N3), and it was fairly doable. TBH in this book the most difficult part is the ramblings of one specific character which are just a bit hard to follow contents-wise, but other than that, I got along well with it.

Happy reading!

7 Likes