Increasing accuracy

I frequently keep forgetting stuff on wanikani and as a result my accuracy is usually between 60% and 70% on most reviews.

Can you all please share some tips and tricks for increasing my accuracy to at least 80%?

3 Likes

Are you using mnemonics? Maybe when you are consistently getting something wrong, adjust your mnemonic to something more memory triggering. I keep a list of my mnemonics in Google Docs that I refer to when Iā€™m doing my lessons to make sure I am using consistent mnemonics across the board, and I make note of them in the reading and meaning notes. Basically I try to be super systematic.

2 Likes

In addition, sometimes I like to repeat the kanjis I just learn with the self-study quiz script. I believe that helps in retention. In addition, training the leeches with the same script helps as well. ([Userscript] Self-Study Quiz)

My accuracy is between 80 and 90% on most days and I am okay with that. I could probably train more with the self-study quiz, but I donā€™t have the time.

1 Like

Make sure youā€™re using the mnemonics. Also use the review overview screen. Test yourself on the items you got wrong that session. If you canā€™t remember what you missed literally ten seconds after your review is over then thereā€™s no way youā€™re gonna be able to remember them next review session.

7 Likes

Write kanji! I use this Anki deck which tests you on writing kanji that appear in WaniKani. I canā€™t describe how much it helps for remembering. I highly suggest giving it a try :+1:

I really take my time to learn the new kanji. I read the whole description carefully and if the mnemonics donā€™t stick, I just create my own. Even if Its a good mnemonic, I try to write down something to reinforce it.

Also it helps to learn the new stuff in the morning, review in the afternoon and then at night. So you get the exact SRS intervals. Good luck!

Hey, the first time I used wanikani I hated it for that reason, and because i didnā€™t know how to use scripts at the timeā€¦
Here is my suggestion:
scripts help for a lot of other reasons, but most importantly for memory:

USE FLASHCARDS!

I know that sounds like a lot of extra work, but I assign 1.5 hours each day to work on Japanese so I just include it in the time expense. Because I write the kanji down, it helps with retention immensely, and I really enjoy writing the kanji. I do reviews multiple times a day on my flash cards and I know youā€™re thinking this is ā€œcheatingā€ for wanikani reviews but I disagree. I am trying to emulate years of use with the kanji/word. I see Wanikani as just the tool that puts kanji/vocab infront of me at the right pace and in the ā€œrightā€ order.

On average each level takes me 8 days now since I am in a rhythm. I put 70% of my energy into memorizing the kanji and Onyomi reading, this makes learning the vocab stupid easy (for most). And then after the 8 days is up I donā€™t practice the flashcards every day anymore. The cards I still struggle with I push forward with the next set, but because I went through them so many times a day, they usually stick like glue moving forward and the guru lengths are perfect wait times for reviews. Each time I level up, I go through all my flash cards and see if there are any I struggled with and put them back into my 3x a day review stack. Any that I have to review again usually I slide through quickly while learning the new stuff so it doesnā€™t add much time. Whenever I am actively using wanikani for reviews, the time cost is so incredibly low, even if the review count is 100+ just because Iā€™ve been working on them on my own. I think I usually spend ~5min per 100 cards.

Hopefully this strategy helps someone else.

I like srs apps like wanikani & anki, but they donā€™t give you fine tuned control on reviewsā€¦ which is why flash cards will always win out IMHO.

Spend more time doing your lessons. Make sure you are able to recall it later by having strong mnemonics.

I donā€™t do this and it results in a lot of pain and suffering.

4 Likes

Same here. Iā€™ve just accepted it.

I run into this problem when I start getting vocabulary dumped on me near the end of a level. Jukugo words are a breeze because Iā€™ve already seen the onā€™yomi for all the kanji a bunch of times by that point, but then kunā€™yomi readings Iā€™ve never seen before start getting thrown in, plus exceptions and rendaku. Words with meanings that arenā€™t consistent with the normal meanings of the kanji (åˆ†ć‹ć‚‹) also start showing up to throw me off.

Itā€™s frustrating, but Iā€™m starting to learn that for me, personally, itā€™s better to do kind of a mid-review on vocab where I just go up to the vocabulary section of WaniKani, look through the list of stuff for my level, and re-read the entries. If there are any where I couldnā€™t guess what they were before I checked, Iā€™ll pay special attention to the mnemonic and kinda drill it for a minute or two.

2 Likes

Also, about half of my errors are plain old typos, so my tip is slow down and proof-read. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s an interesting example since itā€™s used so frequently in Japanese that its easy to remember. I find that ingesting some content in Japanese really helps for remembering things like this that are used so frequently.

Yeah, Iā€™m also good with the occasional reveiw session at 60-70%. I just go over the ones I missed and reinforce the mnemonic or add to it and try again.

Mine is also not good,so partly i accepted it.
But nice advice from you all!
What helped me to increase it a little bit is that i startet smaller review batches.
So instead of doing 100 or more Reviews in a row i do only 20-30, take a break and then do another 20-30 later and so on. So im doing my reviews all over the day.
But im on team taking it slow, so i have time :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.