I'm level 21 and I finally burned the 八 radical

Almost two years after I started WK. I’m on a train and giggling to myself with joy so I just thought I’d share. However bad your leeches are you will get there one day.

In retrospect I should have just renamed the bloody thing but whatever.

31 Likes

All aboard the giggle train!

6 Likes

I’m just past my two-year anniversary and I still haven’t burned 八つ :unamused:

17 Likes

分かりにくい八つやつですね。

12 Likes

There’s no 八 radical though. Do you mean the ハ (fins) radical?

1 Like

Plantron senpai, That made my heart sings:
Wiggle Giggle Tickle Train
How I wonder what you are.

Radish8 senpai let yattsu float up and down for two years? Wow. I won’t be able to buy a yacht, senpai.

After I saw my own. :thinking: I can imagine the yacht struggle floating there. @Oman poor yattsu.

3 Likes

They’re basically the same. It’s all fonts.

Nah, the first one is the Kanji for eight and the other one is Katakana Ha.

2 Likes

Lemme rephrase: as WaniKani radicals, they’re the same thing.

The original radicals list on TextFugu distinguished them - 八 was a radical called “volcano”. The issue was that many people’s computers used a font which lacked the lid on the top, making “volcano” and “fish legs” essentially indistinguishable from each other. Here on WaniKani, they’ve been combined into “fish legs”.

(To make matters worse, one of them pulled double-duty as the radical which WaniKani calls “hat”, though I don’t rightly recall which one. “Volcano”, probably, given that “fish legs” tends to appear on the bottom of kanji.)

3 Likes

Ah, the internet: you post a minor victory and someone takes the time to tell you that you’re wrong.

6 Likes

Behold:

2 Likes

Don’t make a thread if you don’t want a reply

I hope yattsura the eight things and eight pirate robbers won’t be able to take your yacht that’s been shipping with yattsu painting. The important yattsu paintings of Aya.

Oshin 語 translation to English: I hope you’ll burn it in 2 months.

1 Like

Thank you. fustian_garb gives me hope :wink:

2 Likes

The 八日 is haunting me, since I’ve been introduced to it :expressionless:

2 Likes

Tip I learned from someone on here: eight days is ようか while four days is よっか because eight days is longer than four days.

(that might not be your issue with it, but the more you know :wink: )

5 Likes

There’s no reason for people to be rude in those replies either, though :slightly_smiling_face:

(Not necessarily saying that’s what you were going for, but the way you said it does make what you said come across that way, to me at least)

4 Likes

Now that you’ve mentioned it, I actually learned 八 as “Volcano” on WK back when I started the first time. Just another thing that got eaten up by the WK content overhaul.

2 Likes

I simply wondered if you meant the ハ radical or something else. :neutral_face:

To make things even more mysterious, there actually used to be a 八 radical, so it’s even possible you burned a radical that shouldn’t be there anymore (or maybe you just meant the Kanji, another possibility).

1 Like

I’ve still not burned the rice paddy radical, because ‘rice field’ and ‘paddy field’ are apparently just not good enough for the crabigator

4 Likes