Im lazy what is a good motivation

how do you get to wanikani stats btw because I have seen a lot of other forums talk about it.

You have to enter your WK API Token which you will find in the settings of the WK site.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link.

2 Likes

Another motivation: once you know some kanji you can often guess the meaning and sometimes the pronunciation of vocabulary you have never seen before. For example at level 2: 火山, the fire mountain - so that should be a volcano.

2 Likes

I will keep that in mind thanks.

1 Like

Motivation is an enemy disguised as a friend. Motivation gets you excited to the point you dedicate yourself to taking on a long-term activity, then it runs out on you.

Discipline is a friend disguised as an enemy. Discipline forces you to do things you don’t want to do, when you don’t want to do them, and it’s always there to nag you when you don’t do what you’re supposed to.

As others have mentioned, consider “why” you want to learn Japanese. Then determine your goals. Then throw away the goals[1] (because they exist only to temporarily motivate you), and develop the systems that will actually get you there.

Here are some examples of systems:

• Use WaniKani daily. Complete your reviews, and do lessons when your Apprentice count is below 100.
  • Read a chapter from Tae Kim’s guide each day. The guide isn’t perfect, but it helps ease you into learning grammar.
  • Watch a CureDolly video each day. Even if you don’t understand all the content, you’re becoming more familiar with Japanese grammar.
  • Read a random Maggie Sensei grammar post each day.
  • Read a little bit of native Japanese material, and look up the vocabulary you don’t know and the grammar you don’t understand.
  • Do shadowing, which may improve not only your pronunciation, but also your ability to hear how Japanese sounds are spoken.

Those are just examples, and you don’t want to necessarily implement all of them.

“How can I do any of those if I’m lazy?”

Only you can resolve that, no matter what anyone says. I’d say anytime you’re being lazy, ask yourself what you’re doing.

Are you turning on the television and watching whatever’s on, whether you’ve seen that episode or not, whether you’re interested in the show or not? Stop turning on the TV when you’re bored.

Are you reading through posts on Facebook or another social media service that don’t actually impact you in any way? Install a program to limit your daily time spent on certain web sites (such as the StayFocused extension for Chrome). That way you can wean yourself off.

[1] You can still have goals. Just don’t depend on them to keep you going.

TLazy;DR: See this post.

30 Likes

Whenever I here these words, this comes to my mind:

4 Likes

WOW the famous trunklayer just posted on my forum

4 Likes

Us - cats - can be very meowtivational :cat2:

In other words, best of luck with your studies!

7 Likes

Great, now I have to go and learn Japanese so I can know what they’re singing.

3 Likes

Yes the cats will compel me to do wanikani and then as a reward I will feed them to the Crabigator.

4 Likes

Ask yourself why you want to learn Japanese at all. If you are not feeling motivated, it may be that you don’t really want to or need to. If not, then find something more fun to give your time meaning.

6 Likes

bruhhhh deadpool????? im a big fan

1 Like

Cool. Thanks. You wanna see my weapons?
Unknown
Oh yeah. so. many. weapons. you got somebody you want to see gone?
Nah just kidding (‘-’)

2 Likes

I have scheduled myself 5 lessons per week on italki to have some kind or responsibility to do something every day. Lately my teacher and I read a lot of manga which is frustrating because I can’t read the kanjis that got me to start Wanikani after 2 years of studying Japanese. So I would say a goal like “I want to read manga without furigana” helps studying Kanji and staying motivated.

3 Likes

I put myself into the shoes of a future me and think about how depressing it is that I didn´t make any progress whatsoever in two years time. And basically don´t accomplish anything. This helps sometimes since I am also lazy and in hindsight regret several things I never did

4 Likes

Me too! Just added a fifth lesson to the schedule this week. Thankfully I have no life right now.

2 Likes

Get to level 4 and pay. That should motivate you a bit :joy:

2 Likes

Your life can be filled with japanese lesson only, it’s ok! :joy:

2 Likes

Please don’t spam the forum with links to this thread.

2 Likes