iKnow placement test

Does anyone else here besides me randomly take the iKnow placement test just to check?

https://iknow.jp/diagnostics/2

4 Likes

Thanks for the link. I remember doing it once long time ago, but then I lost the link, and if you enter iknow homepage, for some reason thereā€™s no link to courses directory or this test (or I canā€™t find it).

1 Like

I got the first six questions they asked right and that was it, even though it looked at first like they were gonna ask more.

1 Like

Yea you have to search specifically for ā€œiknow placement testā€ for it to pop up in google results.

Itā€™s an interesting reminder quiz. Iā€™ve definitely seen my result increase over time.

Iā€™d imagine theyā€™d place you at the advanced level. lol

1 Like

I think it goes a bit similarly to J-Cat, in trying to adapt to your level. At first attempt, it asked me 11 or 13 questions total - but I had three wrong answers mixed in there, so possibly it then tried to adjust the level. Then at the second time it was the same as your case - six correct answers in a row, and that was it.

Then in both cases it recommended me the ā€œ6000 coreā€ (=the advanced one) course - I find it a bit too optimistic :wink:

I did their 3 month trial a long time ago and started on the recommended level but it was too hard. A friend of mine did the same. If you take their courses, Iā€™d recommend going a level or two below their recommendation.

Mehā€¦ No thanks. I never did Core deck and feel like it makes no sense to start it now.

Seems interesting but not sure how long Iā€™d use it

The placement test told me to start at the core 5,000 last year when 3,000 (which I settled on), was still filled with words I didnā€™t know, so I wouldnā€™t put too much stock in it.

iKnow is a great program though.

1 Like

Yea many have a similar experience. Itā€™s still just an interesting little gauge that I periodically use.

I donā€™t get how people can do decks :confused:

I prefer doing my own flashcards from my workbooksā€¦ but that was before I discovered Wanikani of course <3

I started my (current) N1 study making physical flashcards from the Kanzen Master vocab book, which I really liked as it helped cement them faster and allowed me to practice writing.

However, time-wise, it wasnā€™t worth it. At least not with the amount of unknown vocabulary I was hitting. I wound up switching to Quizlet as a digital flashcard option on the advice of someone else here.

In the meantime, iKnow is a great, passive tool for vocab acquisition. I just try to clear it out once a day as with Wanikani, and add five new words unless I feel like I really need a day just for review. (It helps that at some point I outpaced what iKnowā€™s decks offer, so now that Iā€™ve actually gotten to the core 5,000, most sets of ā€œnewā€ words arenā€™t entirely new.)

I think in general though, anyone whoā€™s making a serious go at Japanese will want some dedicated vocab resource outside of Wanikani, whether itā€™s a textbook, test book, raw core word list, or an SRS service like iKnow. WKā€™s vocab is helpful too, but it jumps all the hell over the place in terms of usage, since itā€™s based around kanji complexity.

1 Like

Haha I use Quizlet as well I think itā€™s perfect. It detect the language and the design is justā€¦ nice and userfriendly.

Iā€™m sure Anki is super powerful and decks are awesomeā€¦ but I canā€™t get that interface and low tech features.

How is going you N1 ? How long did it take you to pass N2 ?

1 Like

I did the placement test and Iknow recommend me the 3000 core words. It was (and still is) a bit difficult but okay. Iā€™ve learned a lot.
In the same time, Iā€™m slowly doing the lower intermediate 1000 core words in sentence training and only keep the words I donā€™t know or am still uncomfortable with to review normally afterwards. This methodā€™s working quite well for me.

2 Likes

How is going you N1 ? How long did it take you to pass N2 ?

N1 is going ā€¦ fine. Definitely on a slower pace than I was with previous levels, but I hope to have a non-zero shot in December, after taking the July test just for experience. My N2 score wasnā€™t low, but vocab was my weakest section, so I think Iā€™m still making up some gaps there. I took N2 six months after N3, so I just didnā€™t have time to cram everything in. My grammar, kanji-reading, reading comprehension, and listening were thankfully enough to get by.

I guess that also answers your second question, but to be more detailed, itā€™s a difficult question to answer. I took Japanese for three years in high school and two in college, then didnā€™t use it for about six years. I came to Japan a little over a year and a half ago via JET, spent maybe the first year or so relearning N3-level material Iā€™d technically already ā€œlearnedā€ my sophomore year of college, then especially between N3 and N2, made Japanese like my sole hobby on top of living in the country. Paid dividends, and I love it, but I do kind of miss, you know, doing other things. Study routineā€™s only been growing though.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.