I reached level 60 in exactly 1000 days. Learn this one weird trick to do it faster than me

Thanks for the advice and congrats!

I agree on the radical. In general I find confusing having to learn again kanji “as radical”, I would consider each kanji a potential radical and just study those radicals which are not a kanji per-se.

I don’t use any monkeyscript, and my rule is never lesson before review and no new lesson if there are more than 100 items at apprendice level. So far so good. :slight_smile:

1 Like

First of all, Congratulations!!

I 1000% agree with you on the way WaniKani handles radicals after you’ve reached a certain level. Why not just use previously learned Kanji or call the Radicals what they actually are? They’re already making outlandish stories, so at least make them using the real meaning of the Kanji. That way we’re not learning a useless meaning that’s not going to help us with real world Japanese. After around level 20 I stopped paying too much attention to the radicals. They really don’t add much to my learning of the Kanji, personally. That’s why I seriously hope that WaniKani developers consider your input.

I also agree on learning the vocabulary. Without it I would not be able to learn the Kanji as well as I have. It’s like you say, there’s no point in learning Kanji in a void since that’s not how people will encounter them in the real world. Not to mention that the vocabulary reinforces the Kanji. Not sure why people would skip the vocabulary unless their goal is to just be a Kanji scholar, rather than to learn actual Japanese.

Again, congrats to you on reaching level 60. Hopefully I can do the same sometime this year :slightly_smiling_face:.

2 Likes

Hi Congrats and thanks for this topic. I find it very usefull knowing I will levelling up soon.

But I had a issue that really bother from my last level up. Basically I had more than hundreds task to do between the previous vocabs and the current radicals and Kanji it was all mixed up in my head and really frustrated me doing so much mistakes so if anybody reading this could give me tips. I ll be greatfull.

Like : should I finish the former vocab and don’t do the new kanji ? Or do the opposite ?

I was really sick of having so much wrong answers. And I know I complete guru reviews that I don’t “remember” because I did’nt pratice them for a week :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Learning the vocabulary reinforces the Kanji, so definitely finish it before moving on. Also, practice a little before your reviews and only do as many lessons as you can handle per day. The lessons you’re doing now will come back to haunt you 6 months from when you started them, so keep that in mind. The reviews can get overwhelming really fast once you get to that point, so pace yourself (unless you have plenty of time and want to focus mostly on WaniKani and not so much on other aspects of the language). A lot of us fall into this trap because WaniKani is easy at first, but eventually gets MASSIVELY overwhelming.

That’s my advice.

4 Likes

Especially during the various races I joined, I noticed that some users just straight up skip vocabulary lessons to reach the next levels faster.

I don’t understand the motivation behind this at all. Isn’t the point to learn the language? Just seems so odd to spend 2+ years doing something daily, and not even getting the main part of the benefit from it.

4 Likes

I don’t like Wanikani always sticking to the Radical system for explaining new Kanji, even though when it would make it much easier to explain the new Kanji with existing ones. For example: The Kanji 痴 (stupid) is explained using the three radicals 疒 (Sick) + 矢 (Arrow) + 口 (Mouth). So the Mnemonic

Yeah, and the names for the radicals are often confusing. Some has the name of the identical kanji, others some completely made up crap that may or may not be related to the kanji. In that case when I reflexively write the “radical name” for kanji/vocab meaning, I just fail.

I found that for me the best is working backwards. Learn words first, which provide the context to learn the kanji (which would otherwise be the mnemonic that usually absolutely fails for me).

Also ‘user synonyms’ for meaning. I just discovered yesterday you can do that. I thought they are just submissions that needs approval. Especially helpful for non-native english speakers.

I also don’t like when Wanikani teaches very similar looking or similar meaning kanji at the same lesson, it adds unnecessary confusion. Those should be spaced out more and teach the other one once you are confident the first.

1 Like

I actually disagree with this one, I find it much easier to learn similar kanji when they’re taught together. It forces me to focus on the specific differences between those characters so I don’t mix them up as easily.

8 Likes

Congrats!!! woot woot

Please let us know if you can how you went about studying Japanese, especially in the year that you were in Germany. Other than WaniKani what else did you use?

By now I’ve actually been back for two years in Germany. I’m still working remotely while the VISA application is processing and hopefully can go back to Tokyo this summer :crossed_fingers:

Since I’m back, the main thing I’ve been doing next to Bunpro and WaniKani is trying to consume some kind of Japanese media every day. Watch an episode of a Japanese show or movie, put on a Japanese podcast in the background or just watch news live streams on YouTube. I’ve not been as consistent with that as WaniKani, but I still made progress there. Speaking practice suffered the most, but since I started working for my current company, I get more daily speaking practice than I want to :sweat: .

I can really recommend the Language reactor add-on for Firefox/Chrome. When you watch shows on amazon or Netflix, it lets you easily display several subtitles, show translations for single words and skip directly to specific sentences (no more rewinding 10 seconds). It has tons of customizable options. For example, I just use Japanese subtitles and hide the English/German subtitles by default. When I hover over a Japanese line, it will show me the alternate subtitles instead. The following image is just an example photo from their website of a Japanese person studying English, but it gives you an idea.

9 Likes

Hey @TofuguKyle , can you please put this post in the Level 60 Celebrations subcategory? Thanks.

1 Like

Done, thank you!

2 Likes

Congratulations to your final level up. Greetings from Germany :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.