I just became a subscriber ! But I just saw a video that threw me a bit off

I love this! (Although, I wonder how it would sound to an English learner… Wat?)

3 Likes

I absolutely loved practising it in the beginning when I knew around 300 kanji or so. After a while I found that I wanted to use my time to study more vocab and grammar instead so I just changed my priorities basically. I might pick up practising handwriting again sometime when I have finished WaniKani though, we’ll see.

However I will say that learning the rules of stroke order and writing out my first 300 kanji repeatedly really helped me to encounter and understand new kanji better.

Haha, yes, I did feel a bit bad posting that when lots of people here aren’t native English speakers :sweat_smile:

It [Kanji Study] doesn’t, but I use the star ratings and move items between groups to make my own manual SRS. It’s a bit of bookkeeping, but I love being able to scribble out some Kanji in a few minutes and see if I’ve retained them.

I have a way better handle on what the N5 and about half the N4 kanji actually look like now.

I have the N5 kanji broken up into roughly 5 equal groups, and write one group out per weekday, which takes about 90 seconds, but it keeps me sharp. Although, if I tried to write them on paper, they’d probably still look like a dog’s breakfast :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I probably should start practicing :stuck_out_tongue: It’s one more thing to worry about, but if done right, it really only takes a few minutes.

RTK is an obsolete and half assed system to learn Kanji, it only teaches the meaning of an ideogram, which is pretty useless to be honest と思います. It was great at the moment, in 1930, when people used abacuses to count and the world was an innocent place.

Why do people complain about WaniKani without using it, and why do we even care about?? Mysteries of life.

@Aniki様 haters gonna hate, don’t be discouraged to use this system, it works really well, and you’ll see its benefits at an early stage if you are really committed to learn Kanji and not just Remember them, whatever that means.

1 Like

It made it onto Reddit. R/Learn Japanese.

1 Like

Hey! I’m the originator of this quote. Where are my likes?! I got zero - you got thirteen!?

… jk, I don’t care. Just wanted to poke fun.

14 Likes

Do I want to look at this, or do I not want to look at this?

1 Like

There are not a lot of comments about WK that I can see, just a bunch of people arguing over if you learn Kanji out of context first or vocab first or sentences first.

ITT: People beating the 馬 to death

This is a pretty good quote and description of the thread.

Oh, ok. That just sounds boring rather than vitriolic or sensible. Thank you for taking the hit for me!

I can only take away the likes I gave you :cry:

Who’s Andrew?

11 Likes

私はそのビデオを見たたら、英語話せる忘れて!助けて!

3 Likes

It seems Andrew is a friend, or an acquaintance, of the guy who created the video.

1 Like

Yeah, I know :stuck_out_tongue: I was just messing with the fact that anyone can say they have an “Andrew” as a friend and quote him on whatever.

6 Likes

UW?

Plus extra characters because quotes aren’t included in the 10 character limit but whatever

1 Like

“No jprspereira, not everyone can say they have a friend called Andrew and quote him” -Andrew

What now?!?

16 Likes