I have **exclusively** used Wanikani for a year, however

You only “screw up” if you stop…there is no “correct order” to learn something in…if you learn all the kanji you are a step ahead when it comes to other stuff. Yeah reading is always hard in the beginning regardless, but just keep going and plant that tree now. So what that you learned more kanji than grammar…what’s the harm? Might be discouraging if you thought you were going to be able to read right away, but … that probably wasn’t gonna happen anyway… reading in Japanese is gonna take some getting used to, especially for English natives…the grammar is so different. [Book Clubs!! - Absolute Beginner Book Clubs are a great place to start]

If you think you might forget that kanji you learned when you started, yeah you might (and some you will)…but it will be easier to recall if you have to look it up…Don’t worry about the small stuff and press onwards! You’ve have accomplished more than many do when studying Japanese (most people give up!)

You can do it…!!!

2 Likes

I agree totally with him. Now that you’ve realized that your knowledge is skewed, you can improve the areas you’re not familiar with. Try clearing the two Genkis at your own pace and take WaniKani more lightly until you feel properly balanced.

3 Likes

Don’t worry, that’s what I’ve been doing for 2.5 years now. You learn the language even by just trying to translate WK’s example sentences. Sure, I can’t understand spoken Japanese nor can I speak it myself, but at least I understand short comics on Twitter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

A year is barely any time at all when it comes to learning languages. You’ll find that having a solid base in hiragana, katakana and kanji will help you a lot in your studies going forward.

I started taking Japanese classes last year - we spent at least 6 months focusing only on hiragana and katakana. You’re really not that far behind :slight_smile:

2 Likes