Do as you wish. I like the feature and I’ll continue leveling in the exact amount of time I’ve been doing. I like being adaptable and not locking myself into an arbitrary number of lessons per day that has nothing to do with how much time I have available, what mood I’m in, or how easy the content is.
I have no idea why kana-only vocab takes a different amount of energy—rather, why it takes more. Especially since whenever there’s a lot of easy/known kanji vocab in the day’s lessons, I’m always happy to do 5 more. But for some reason, starting lessons and seeing they’re all kana-only just drains me and it feels like a chore to do all 10 in one day… Like, it’s worse than having 5+ in a row using the same kanji and having similar meanings. I hope that changes, because they really don’t take that long to clear in reviews, so this disparity is just. Why.
Can’t you just stop doing new lessons?
They said themself in that very post:
And yeah I know the actual solution for me is to just stop doing the kana lessons but I just like having everything at zero all the time lol
I just use a setting in Tsurukami to block the kana only vocabulary so I don’t have to deal with them.
Can’t have it both ways.
If WK adds an opt-out or auto-burn for known kana-only vocab, as that person was hoping for, then yeah, you can. People who wanna do kana vocab can do them, and people who don’t get them removed from their lesson piles without having to do them (or never added to lessons in the first place, depending which route WK goes).
Yeah, I know it’s trivial / a non-issue for me, which is why I’ve been pretty blithe about it all for my part. But if that’s my experience at level 60, imagine everyone in the 50s, who can’t just stop doing lessons and would have to use some workaround or just have their mostly N1 kanji (from 53-60 is all N1 iirc) lessons flooded with こんにちは. I think the point stands for their sake at the very least, I hope they roll out this feature sooner than later. And according to the last email they’re working on it now, so that’s good news.
Finally, wanikani is NOT a kanji deck
Is IS a Kanji deck
As a user who’s finishing the several last levels, it has always been a site (a very robust one) that helps me tackle the seemingly possible side of learning Japanese - Kanji. But obviously, Japanese learners do not learn Kanji and stop there, cause speech patterns use words, not Kanji. We learn them and then proceed to learn vocab that utilizes them. End of story. And Wanikani’s vocab section does just that.
Yet now, like OP, I dread every Thursday in my time zone, fearing another barrage of Katakana that feels almost stupid to learn. Especially that WK, since forever, has incorporated Example sentences that presumed people knew basic grammar and Kana words to understand
At this point I’m just trying my best to get to Level 60 and kinda escape, when I used to love WK so much and planned to stay for several years
I don’t know how you would better introduce the kana-only vocab into people’s study backlogs
By making it an opt-in beta feature and therefore have user feeback come only from excited and willing participants. Would’ve been a more efficient and nicer experience for everyone.
Where is my ペコペコ kana vocab at.
I would really enjoy these kana if they were primarily focused on things like onomatopoia or such, like あっさり… Things actually useful, but more advanced than こんばんは
I counter your ペコペコ with my デコピン!

I’m not sure whether to laugh or cry after watching that. Probably both.
Ando-san’s deadpan delivery alone is worthy of an Oscar. The onomatopoeia is pretty brutal. The artwork is, um, ‘special’. I just know that that fish is going to haunt my dreams. Maybe he would go well with some wasabi and shoyu to take the edge off.
Peng, peng indeed.
