I Get It: Hundred Million

Kanji: 億 hundred million
Vocab: 億 hundred million
一億 one hundred million
一億円 one hundred million yen

We really need all of these?

11 Likes

Well, if you’re not planning to ever have a hundred million yen, I guess you can disregard them. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

But what if he wants to read about rich people?

2 Likes

You are now aware of 一 before 億 being read いち, and not some other possible reading. That’s one less thing to worry about when you have to read it.

5 Likes

I think the intention of the post was to question why there needs to be 3 vocab words for 億、一億、and 一億円. And I agree, really only 一億 is needed and maybe plain 億. But a independent vocab probably isn’t necessary for 一億円, pretty sure anyone can figure that one out without it being an item.

5 Likes

images

15 Likes

I assumed WK inundates us with 百、千、万 (I’m not to Oku yet) to familiarize us for when it is or isn’t rendaku’d.

but hey free vocab points

2 Likes

Except they don’t teach 三百、六百、三千、三階 and other counter words that have rendaku

5 Likes

One hundred million Zimbabwean Dollar buys you one grain of rice.

2 Likes

Nice, then you’ll have something to write your name on.

5 Likes

They do teach 三百

2 Likes

I agree with your point, though. The rendaku’d numbers would be a good addition

1 Like

I assume the point is to drill in the meaning and reading. If you just have one, you only get one reinforcement of the kanji. But if you have four of them, then they all kind of share the burden of helping you remember, so in the long run the kanji has a better chance of sticking with you. If it were me though, I would have spread them out among more levels rather than putting them all together in one level as WK does currently. But that’s just me. At this point, I’ve given up trying to suggest changes to them because their staff tend to be rather rude when you offer criticism of the site, I’ve found.

they’re just Miyagi-ing you to make this line as effortless as possible :wink:

Ohhh… by the way, cool avatar :wink:

1 Like

3 Likes

What’s that in Japanese… 百兆?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.