I feel like I've forgotten everything

I’ve been caught up in so much and in February I turned on vacation mode because it was becoming difficult. I’ve wanted to come back quite a few times but that 1k reviews i had scared me that I wouldn’t be able to commit to it. Here I am almost 5 months later and I finally canceled my vacation mode. I’ve only done about 50 or so reviews but It’s like I’ve forgotten everything, even some basic things from the first few levels.

I’m considering maybe just letting myself calm a bit and go back down to maybe level 6 again, the thing is I feel like I’ve already wasted so much of my subscription because of my own stupidity. If I reset I’ll probably be spending another 1-2 months climbing back up. I wish I would have just bought the lifetime subscription during last year’s christmas sale because now I’m feeling like I wasted so much money and in a rush to get back.

3 Likes

Don’t be discouraged! Everyone goes through the same thing, whether it be study, languages, exercise - anything! The point is that you have come back, you’re trying to get back into the flow of things and even venting to the community here. A lot of people just don’t even bother! We are here to support you! Now get back to them reviews, and remember! There’s no need to do it all at once. Do them at your pace, wanikani isn’t going to disappear tomorrow and you’ve got time :slight_smile:

Thinking of it, you might just reset to your Enlightened/Burned level… can be visualized here: https://www.idigtech.com/wanikani/#items.wk.voc

A technique that has worked for some is to use the reorder script to do your reviews starting at level 1 and as you start to miss more and more consider that the level you might want to reset to. I also recommend just doing a brief overview as a refresher first to get things back in your head. Let us know how it goes.

Try Kaniwani! I finds it gives a fresh start and a fresh perspective.

1 Like

I took a long break from learning Japanese (in general, not just Kanji). It will come back. The first little bit is frustrating, but it will pass and you’ll get back into the groove.

Also, taking a break doesn’t necessarily mean you’ve wasted time or even your subscription. Sometimes we need a break mentally so that we can come back stronger. You got this!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.