Hunter × Hunter | Week 3 🐸

Week 3 10 September 2022
End page 48
Pages 10
Previous week Week 2
Next week Week 4
Home Thread Hunter × Hunter

Vocabulary and Grammar

Please read the guidelines on the first page before adding any words.

Discussion Guidelines

Everybody should feel free to post and ask questions–it’s what makes book clubs fun! But please do not post until you are familiar with Spoiler Courtesy!

Spoiler Courtesy

Please follow these rules to avoid inadvertent ネタバレ. If you’re unsure whether something should have a spoiler tag, err on the side of using one.

1. Any potential spoiler for the current week’s reading need only be covered by a spoiler tag. Predictions and conjecture made by somebody who has not read ahead still falls into this category.
  2. Any potential spoilers for external sources need to be covered by a spoiler tag and include a label (outside of the spoiler tag) of what might be spoiled. These include but are not limited to: other book club picks, other books, games, movies, anime, etc. I recommend also tagging the severity of the spoiler (for example, I may still look at minor spoilers for something that I don’t intend to read soon).
  3. Any information from later in the book than the current week’s reading (including trigger warnings that haven’t yet manifested) needs to be hidden by spoiler tags and labeled as coming from later sections.
Instructions for Spoiler Tags

Click the cog above the text box and use either the “Hide Details” or “Blur Spoiler” options. The text which says “This text will be hidden” should be replaced with what you are wishing to write. In the case of “Hide Details”, the section in the brackets that is labelled “Summary” can be replaced with whatever you like also (i.e, [details=”Chapter 1, Pg. 1”]).

Hide Details results in the dropdown box like below:

Example

This is an example of the “Hide Details” option.

The “Blur Spoiler” option will simply blur the text it surrounds.

This is an example of the “Blur Spoiler” option.

Posting Advice
  • When asking for help, please mention the page number, and check before posting that your question hasn’t already been asked. As the threads get longer, it becomes more convenient to use the Search function, which is located in the upper right corner of the forum. It is the magnifying glass which is near your profile picture! The best way to search is usually to type part of the sentence you are confused about, and select “in this topic”. This will show you all posts within the current thread which has that string of text.

• Be sure to join the conversation! It’s fun, and it’s what keeps these book clubs lively! There’s no such thing as a stupid question! We are all learning here, and if the question has crossed your mind, there’s a very good chance it has crossed somebody else’s also! Asking and answering questions is a great learning opportunity for everyone involved, so never hesitate to do so!

Page numbers

The schedule is based on the page numbers that sometimes appear on the bottom of the pages. On kindle, the page numbers shown by the reader are one bigger.

Last page of the week

Live Readings

Live readings are currently not organized. If you are interested in organizing one, tell me and I’ll update the post.

Discussion Questions

Questions
  1. What sentence/passage gave you the most difficulty? Feel free to request some help, or if you figured it out on your own break it down for the rest of us!
  2. What was your favorite new vocab word from this week’s reading?
  3. Was there any passage that you found particularly intriguing? Did it resonate with you (either positively or negatively)? Was it surprising? Offer any insight or new perspective? Was it just beautifully written?

Participation

Will you be reading along with us this week?

• I’m reading along
  • I have finished this part
  • I’m still reading the book but I haven’t reached this part yet
  • I’m reading this book after the club has finished
  • I’m no longer reading the book

0 voters

If you’ve already read this book but are still going to join the discussion, please select “I have read this part.”

Don’t forget to set this thread to Watching in order to stay abreast of discussion!

3 Likes

I immediately have issues with a sentence on page 41:

客席で転がってる役立たずのケツでもつめとけ

The ending I know is “get your useless arse here already!”. What I’m confused about is the beginning. Is he trying to say “Get that useless ass you rolled around in the audience over here already!”? Or maybe he’s saying that he should get his ass rolling (running) around the passengers, to warn them?

2 Likes

The weekend is when I tackle HxH but due to THIS I won’t be prioritizing it this week… So frustrating… see, I use a user script for the furigana in my transcription and I use Yomichan for lookups, both were installed on chrome and tied to my account so now that I’m signed out for at least 48 hours I’d have to make a new account and reinstall things. In itself that’s not such a big time-investment but there are many other such problems and I don’t feel like dealing with any of them right now :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

alright, i’m all caught up!
i have to say, this is harder then i thought it’d be. i’ve read some other manga around the 24-26 natively levels more or less, but i thought a shounen would be easier haha
it’s still all good fun though, i love this series very much so it’s nice to go back to the beginning. i only ever read a small chunk of the manga in english after the end of the 2011 adaptation.
even if i don’t understand every word as long as i get the picture it’s good for me :relieved:

2 Likes

Well ころがる can also mean to be scattered about or lying around and I thought that the last part might be using the 〜とけ form of める to plug or stop up something

I’m a bit confused about the でも, but from what you said it might be something like “Get those useless arses lying around in the guest quarters to go plug up that hole already!”

1 Like

Checked a translation, and it says “Plug it up with the arses of those useless passengers”, btw.

5 Likes

That’s so much better :joy:

Yaaay caught up to week 3! :tada:

Okay, got a question. On page 47, second panel the captain says:

一流のハンターを目指すなら (If you aim to be a first-rate hunter)
何でも出来る様になっとかねぇとな (something about being able to do anything)
(I think なっと is ないと, must do?)

出来る(to be able to ) + ようになる (to reach a point that)

So is the captain saying “you must get to a level where you’re able to do anything” (basically that Gon should learn new skills whenever he can so that in the future he’ll ready for any situation)?

(Also jisho says that 出来るようになる = “to become able to (do)” which sounds like some sort of future tense but I can’t find any grammar sites that talk about how to use it as a whole unit. Any ideas?)

First things first, most of the time you see ねぇ like that in this manga, it’s a slangish form of ない
So the sentence is
何でも出来る様になっとかないとな
The part “なっとかない” is just
なる to become
+ ておく as slangish とく, to do something and stay in that state, here become able to do anything and stay like that
+ negative: とく → とかない

“Don’t become someone who can do anything”
+ と, “if you don’t become someone who can do anything (, that won’t be good)” = “you must become someone who can do anything”

2 Likes

Thank you, it makes more sense now! So many different verb-bits attached together.

1 Like

i’m looking at this one too and i think its “those useless asses that got jumbled/tossed around the guest quarters, get them organized and untangled!” - つめとけ isnt coming up as 1 word in my dictionaries so im assuming its 2 verbs, つむ and とく, both imperative present. and 転がってる is more a description of the useless asses that are in the 客席, which im interpreting as like the guest bunks or passenger area? and from the next couple pages they seem uhhh pretty tossed around in there

not sure if that makes sense but thats what ive got lol

There’s actually a translation a bit lower down, it’s Plug [the holes] with the asses of those useless passengers

1 Like

aaah that makes sense, thank you!

1 Like

Week 4 thread up!