How to understand the intended meaning in Japanese?

I am having this problem right now too.
I was fortunate enough to acquire several pen-pals on my recent trip to japan. We have exchanged emails in straight English, a mix, or straight Japanese depending on the person’s fluency in English.
I love being forced to communicate in strictly Japanese. But many times I am sure that I am missing little bits of meaning. It especially happens when they use common phrases that don’t mean what they literally say.
It is a real challenge, and I hope that we avoid miscommunications over not having a shared language.

2 Likes

Well, I’ll be boring (I recommend it everywhere), but you should give Cure Dolly a chance, if you don’t know them (you can find the channel on YT). Their grammar playlist helped me to understand that everything is logical in Japanese :hear_no_evil: . And those explanations are much more interesting than in Genki 2 (sometimes I almost have to force myself to use it :sleeping:).

3 Likes

No, I was wondering about my English translation.

I’ve just checked it out. Looks amazing. It already gave me a lot of insight into が. A million thanks.

1 Like

Ah, got you.

:point_up_2:That’s correct as well, if that’s what you were referring to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.