How to start learning grammar?

Heya, this is my first post on here so i hope im doing this correctly. I just had a quick question on how to start learning grammar. I’ve gotten to level 8 so im not looking to go into anything too advanced but i wanted to do some studying on the side while i waited for reviews.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

I started learning grammar by reading Genki I. I am a self-learner and this book worked for me.

2 Likes

Was it this one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genki-Second-Integrated-Elementary-Japanese/dp/4789014401/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=genki&qid=1596667760&sr=8-5) ? If so ima have to wait a bit before buying it lol, kept putting it off and now the quarantine bordem has robbed me of my spare cash, but ill defiantly check it out when i can!

Yes this is the one. But I have heard a third edition is out so you may want to make sure to get that one.

1 Like

I’m also using Genki I and it is very useful, but also once you are finished with the first volume I would recommend using this website: Learn Japanese – Tae Kim's Guide to Learning Japanese It is enlightening and makes more sense after Genki I. Also taking notes, learning stroke orders and just writing down things you don’t understand also comes in handy. :smiley:

1 Like

I am a self learner as well, and have tried many resources. If I was starting again, I think I would use Cure Dolly as my first grammar resource. It is a bit odd, but, if you enable the subtitles and take your time with each lesson, it does make a lot of sense. And it is a free resource while you’re struggling financially. Good luck with your studies.

3 Likes

Same here. I’ve tried both Genki and Tae Kim, but I found Cure Dolly to be the best one by far.
They have a full playlist with lessons in order so you don’t get lost trying to figure which video to watch first. If a lesson confuses you, you can always go read the comments section to see if someone had a similar issue. Or just straight up ask a new question there, since they still reply to it.

4 Likes

If you struggle on a particular point I’d recommend JapaneseAmmo with Misa on YouTube. She does a great job of explaining grammar points with excellent video editing for clarity.

2 Likes

If you like the SRS system in Wanikani, check out Bunpro.jp

They use an identical system, and you can learn grammar via multiple textbook paths, or the JLPT levels.

2 Likes

Italki is a good resource for online tutors at a decent rate if there are difficult topics.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.