How to start learning grammar?

Heya, this is my first post on here so i hope im doing this correctly. I just had a quick question on how to start learning grammar. I’ve gotten to level 8 so im not looking to go into anything too advanced but i wanted to do some studying on the side while i waited for reviews.

Any help is appreciated!

1 Like

I started learning grammar by reading Genki I. I am a self-learner and this book worked for me.

2 Likes

Was it this one (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Genki-Second-Integrated-Elementary-Japanese/dp/4789014401/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=genki&qid=1596667760&sr=8-5) ? If so ima have to wait a bit before buying it lol, kept putting it off and now the quarantine bordem has robbed me of my spare cash, but ill defiantly check it out when i can!

Yes this is the one. But I have heard a third edition is out so you may want to make sure to get that one.

1 Like

I’m also using Genki I and it is very useful, but also once you are finished with the first volume I would recommend using this website: http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/ It is enlightening and makes more sense after Genki I. Also taking notes, learning stroke orders and just writing down things you don’t understand also comes in handy. :smiley:

1 Like

I am a self learner as well, and have tried many resources. If I was starting again, I think I would use Cure Dolly as my first grammar resource. It is a bit odd, but, if you enable the subtitles and take your time with each lesson, it does make a lot of sense. And it is a free resource while you’re struggling financially. Good luck with your studies.

3 Likes

Same here. I’ve tried both Genki and Tae Kim, but I found Cure Dolly to be the best one by far.
They have a full playlist with lessons in order so you don’t get lost trying to figure which video to watch first. If a lesson confuses you, you can always go read the comments section to see if someone had a similar issue. Or just straight up ask a new question there, since they still reply to it.

3 Likes

If you struggle on a particular point I’d recommend JapaneseAmmo with Misa on YouTube. She does a great job of explaining grammar points with excellent video editing for clarity.

2 Likes

If you like the SRS system in Wanikani, check out Bunpro.jp

They use an identical system, and you can learn grammar via multiple textbook paths, or the JLPT levels.

1 Like

Italki is a good resource for online tutors at a decent rate if there are difficult topics.

1 Like