How often do you study, and how long?

I also want to add now that I’m trying to incorporate Kaniwani as my Master pile starts to finally grow. But I only do it if I am eager to do more WK, but there’s no lessons (still with my 20/day limit) or reviews.

It’s not very necessary to use KW, but it’s a great reinforcement. I surprisingly found myself stumped on some words that I just breezed through in WK. It’s worth a shot once you gain more levels.

2 Likes

I’m did the same. When I reached level 60 here I just had 80% of Genki 1 and could not read any interesting stuff. Since then my focus has been on grammar.

1 Like

I study everyday, for hours! I use Bunpro for grammar (just passed all N5 grammar yay:)), Renshuu and WK for vocab and kanji. And of course read manga with the beloved Absolute Beginner Book Club:).

2 Likes

I spend up to three hours a day studying languages but only about half an hour of Japanese at the moment. Rest is mainly Mandarin but also Spanish, Hindi and Norwegian (don’t ask me why Norwegian!)

1 Like

7 months in. Went a few months with ATJATT, right now I’m going 5-8hrs a day. Mostly 8hr days tbh. Never less than 5h though. I’ve done some fairly impressive progress in this time, but wish I could do much more. What I’m struggling with is not putting in the time, it’s to find a balance between efficiency and not burning out. Burning out means no progress, so 5hrs is better than none.

2 Likes

8 hours a day just studying? That’s impressive, I couldn’t manage more than 4. If you don’t mind me asking, do you have a job/study something other than Japanese? I’m struggling to think of the free time for that level of dedication lol

1 Like

I’m a NEET, all I have is free time.

2 Likes

Holy cow, I wish I had the discipline to study as much per day as any of you. As badly as I want to learn, I can’t seem to focus for more than 15-20 minutes at a time, maybe 5 times a day? So, I guess about 1-2 hours a day on average.

I currently work a full-time job and run a business from home with my wife. Most of my studying is done at work during slow times, lol.

I’m just getting back into Japanese, so that might be why I’m struggling to focus. Currently just trying to chop down my huge review pile that stacked up during my break, letting SRS do its thing, and a little bit of light Tae Kim reading. I might get back into Bunpro once I feel like I’m in the groove again.

1 Like

Up with studying random languages! I studied Norwegian briefly on DuoLingo for something related to knitting. Japanese is my main focus right now but I have studied Hindi and really should be spending more time on improving my Spanish and Russian. I use all three of the later for work. Japanese is just for fun.