How much worse do the full sentence meaning vocabulary get in the later levels?

So I’m finding that one of the banes of my WaniKani existence so far are the vocabulary with entire sentences as the meaning.

For example:
力いっぱい = With all one’s strength
年内 = By the end of the year

I’m noticing that there seems to be at least one in every level so far if not more. Most of the time I end up freezing for an extended period of time trying to recall the meaning exactly word-for-word so as not to get dinged for missing a single word in the phrase since I’m not sure how forgiving it is. Luckily most can be boiled down to two or three words, like “full power” for 力いっぱい.

I’m just wondering, how much worse does this get? Surely not that bad… right?
Feel free to vent or share your later level frustrations.

It’s not as bad, though later levels have way more abstract vocabulary in general, and it really doesn’t help, when you aren’t sure of the exact meaning of the word in English either.

Very. The longer an answer is, the more characters you can get wrong without it getting marked incorrect.
You can also look at the accepted synonyms, sometimes there’s a considerably shorter way to answer a meaning question, like 力いっぱい could be answered as “Full power”, and 年内 could be “within the year”

4 Likes

You could also add your own synonym, if you like, which can be as short as you like. Just make sure that it is something “correct”, otherwise using a synonym can just end up reinforcing a meaning that will not serve you well being understood when you are actually speaking Japanese.

2 Likes

Does it get worse as you go? Well, not necessarily, but you do have some gems to look forward to such as . . .
鑑みる – “to be in light of something” or “to take into account”

I nail the かんがみる reading and miss the meaning over and over again.

But in WK’s defense, there are some things in Japanese that just don’t translate. For this particular one, Jisho has five different meanings, some of which look to me to have nothing to do with each other.

1 Like

There are a lot of words like that I’ve noticed. Like 当たる, which means tons of things if you look it up. Its a little discouraging but I just try not to think about it.

2 Likes

Yep, that’s another one. I guess the classic is よろしくお願いします, which has always felt uniquely Japanese to me, and has no real English equivalent. Someone early on in my Japanese learning said the best translation of that one is “may the force be with you”, so I always default to that in my head.

Try not to think about it too much is great advice. I imagine people who master Japanese to the extent that they think in the language, instead of whatever their first language is, don’t have this problem so much. One day we’ll get there . . .

1 Like

Just as a technical note, none of the examples are actually full sentences.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for sharing some experience and tips! User synonyms are something I’ve been making use of, though sparingly. I don’t trust myself not to skew the meaning of something beyond it’s actual meaning, but if I can manage to shorten some of these long winded vocab down into two words I’ll definitely be taking that chance.

Oh yeah, I know they’re more phrases/statements/broad terms. Me calling them full blown sentences is more less my frustrated exaggeration where I stormed here to make this thread after an annoying review.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.