How much/ what can you read through WaniKani already?

Welcome! You’re in the right place. :grin:

I’d say it depends on your overall Japanese comprehension outside of WK (spoken or kana/romaji). It also depends on how comfortable you want such reading to be. It will take many years of study post-Wanikani to get to a near-native level of comfort.

No matter what, you’ll need some basic grammar and lots and lots of vocabulary to start making headway. It’s never too early to start because you’ll also need to develop the skills to use dictionaries and other research tools (even google-sensei). It really does get easier the more you read. Most of us seem to reach “critical mass” somewhere around the level 30 or so: you’ll know enough kanji that you don’t need to look up absolutely everything.

It’s good that you know what you want to read. Slowly building “fashion and entertainment” vocabulary is much more constrained and realistic than “I want to learn the most common 30,000 words” or whatever.

I spoke Japanese poorly for many years before joining here so I started with a larger vocabulary than many (even if I had no idea how to read those words or that many were even comprised of the same components). For me, it was around level 35 that I found myself doing a lot more email, web browsing, etc. in Japanese and enjoying it. Before then it felt insurmountably difficult.

6 Likes