How many new lessons do you do per day?

Man, I see you everywhere on here. You sure are dedicated and love to help, I appreciate that! :smiley:

Edit: missed “where” on “every”

4 Likes

When I was at lower levels, I did all my lessons at once. It didn’t become a problem until those massive sessions started coming back for master/enlightened reviews on top of all the guru/apprentice stuff. I felt like I was getting hammered, so I stopped doing all my lessons at once. Now, I sort of unscientifically meter them out based on what my apprentice count is (max for me is ~125), how many old reviews are coming up within the next couple days, and how much time I’ll have over those next two days (when those new items will be at the critical apprentice stages). If I’m, say, going into a weekend, I’ll do more lessons a day (up to 30) because I know I’ll have time to do the reviews as they come (and not have 100+ reviews buildup over the course of a day). If it’s the middle of the week and I know my days are going to be busy, I only do 5 or 10 lessons in the morning so that I don’t have so many reviews waiting for me when I get off work. Anyway, kind of a complex system and probably not the most efficient :tm: or scientific way to do it, but I think my point is that how many lessons you do at a time kind of depends on how much time you’ll have to do the reviews and how willing you are to let your review queue build up.

5 Likes

I used to do them all at once, but that became too much around Level 12. Now I do them when I feel like it. Basically when my mind is clear enough and I have the spare time, I do maybe 10-15 lessons. Don’t worry about lessons stacking up so much. You aren’t in a hurry to do them, as long as you do your reviews on time you’re good. Just find your own speed.

Hey, we’re all in this together :slight_smile: I appreciate your kind words though! Hope the text wasn’t confusing, since I wrote it in a hurry.

7 Likes

Per a day isn’t really a good measurement, really you should be doing it based on how many apprentice items you have active to keep from getting overwhelmed. I personally find around 120-130 apprentice items seems to be my sweet spot (unless I have radicals, then I’ll push it to ~140 for the radicals then drop it back to 120s once I clear them out).

Right now it runs me around a 9-10 day level up period, without using any scripts with a 90% correct ratio. The main reason I level about 9-10 days is because I will split up the kanji after clearing out the radicals for a day or two. If I tried to push the post radical kanji as soon as they unlocked, I could level every 7-8 days, but started to get overwhelmed, 9-10 was much more controllable.

3 Likes

Or my lesson filter script. :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, I do 12 lessons a day - 3 kanji and 9 vocab (when available). Plus I do all radicals the first day (there aren’t many radicals at higher levels). This let’s me level up in about 14 days.

4 Likes

My approach on hitting a new level (using the reorder script) is:

1. Radicals immediately, no reason not to and they let you open the second kanji batch faster.

2. Kanji in batches of five whenever I feel like I can stomach them. I try to get through the initial available kanji batch within ~3 days of hitting a new level so I can stick to <10 day levels. The easier a time I have coming up with good mnemonics, the quicker I’ll tend to take new kanji batches.

3. Vocabulary depends on how many I have, and what they are. If I do a batch of vocab lessons and it’s mostly nouns or adjectives I might go through 10-25 at a time, but if it’s a lot of verbs (which are the worst) I might only do 5 and not be in the mood to look at any more for a little while. I really do try to finish all vocab lessons before I hit the next level, but sometimes I don’t manage it.

I hit level 28 1d15h ago, and have so far done 20 of the 29 initially available kanji. I hope to have all 29 out of Lessons by the end of day 3 (keeping in mind that I sometimes slow down a bit on the weekends). I guess somewhere around there or shortly after I should guru this level’s radicals, which will open up the final 5 kanji on this level, which I’ll try to do within a day of them opening up.

2 Likes

I don’t include a daily amount of kanji because:

• Every day your learning efficiency is different.
  • Kanji are harder to learn than vocab (considering that you learned the vocab’s kanji well).

This allows the user to have some flexibility :slight_smile: For example, I normally spread the 1st batch of kanji until the day the radicals get guru’d. However, yesterday I just decided to do them all at once and it went well.

Just felt like adding this detail :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Since I’ve started going as fast as I can, I do 10 vocabs in the morning and 10 vocabs in the evening. If any radicals or kanji get unlocked I do them right away in addition.

How do you handle all of those readings? I remember you said you don’t use mnemonics right? So what is your procedure? :thinking:

I just do 5-10 lessons a day. 15-20 when I’m feeling smart.

To me, something like jprs’s method is waaay overthinking it. I use wanikani specifically to avoid having to plan out scheduled learning. Wanikani takes care of the intervals for me, I just check a few times a day and see if I have reviews to do.

I’m not in a hurry though. If you’re concerned with speed, his advice is gold.

Just a second opinion.

7 Likes

I think it depends on a lot of factors.

If it’s radicals, I do all of them. Kanji around 10 a day. Vocab up to 20 a day.

If I know I have the next day off, I sometimes do more as I find hitting the first 3 reviews as soon as they’re available helps me cement it in my memory - whether it’s a high volume or not.

Compared to, for example, doing a lesson, missing the 4 hour review because I’m at work, having evening plans and then not reviewing til the next day, I may as well just do the lesson over (unless it naturally clicked anyway) as I find it harder to recall.

1 Like

I generally try to do all my lessons and reviews when they come up, provided I’m not busy doing something else at the time.

When I’m not busy I try to do 40 a day (20 in the morning/20 at night) although in the busier times I usually do 20 a day in some variation. 10 in the morning and 10 at night is usually what I go for although sometimes I just do one session of 20 at night.

How do you even remember that?! Yeah, I only occasionally use the mnemonics. I think I do alright only because I have had a lot of exposure to the language, so it just fits in with what I already know. It’s rare that I am not already familiar with a word using the kanji I’m learning; as long as I remember either the reading or the meaning I can usually figure out the other.

2 Likes

As Kumi already said, Kumi is not human like the rest of us. Kumi is a vampire-supercomputer residing on another planet in a distant galaxy. The rules of physics do not apply.

9 Likes

This might seem kinda weird, but if I have huge batches of lessons I’ll flip through them by random one to two times in sets of 10 without quizzing, then I’ll come back in a few hours to do them and I’ll find that they stick to my mind much better since I at least saw them once before. Then I’m able to get through 100ish lessons that day.

On days where I’ll be able to return to WaniKani multiple times throughout the day, I space them out in 10-15 per visit. That’s how I prefer to do them. If it’s a one-visit sort of day, I’ll just do maybe 20 in the morning.

I say do as many as you can but find a window of between an hour or two and really spend time on the mnemonics. If you have the mnemonics for the kanji meanings and on’yomi etched into your brain a lot of the later vocab is a breeze.

For example in level 2 you learned 本 ほん or ぽん It shows up again and again in later vocab items and usually has one of those two readings. This is one of many kanji examples that reappear like this in combination with other kanji. If you work really hard on the kanji readings and meanings the vocab is a piece of cake and you can just tank through the new lessons that are words made up of kanji readings you already know really well.

Maybe i’m not getting the full picture here but.

Lessons for a given level are delivered day after day regardless of your learning right?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to dish out lessons only when things are removed from the apprentice pile?

Everyday when i’m given a pile of new things I always tell myself “man I just wish that for a week I could just practice on the things I currently am not good at”

But if i do that i’ll have 100 lessons waiting for me :stuck_out_tongue: