How many lessons should I be doing in a day?

I’m not white, the background is just transparent :wink: which means you can only see the shell on a dark background (such as the dark theme of the forum).

I am planning to get the light green one back at level 60 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

what about a gold one :durtle_the_explorer:

2 Likes

The badge is already golden though. That feels redundant. I may use the rainbow again when I burn everything though.

To prevent further derailing the thread: I am doing 30 lessons a day, if available. (I also use the reorder script to get the radicals first)

2 Likes

I do ALL of them. I figure, even if I can’t remember that many, then I’ll just fail the apprentice review until I DO remember them. Also, I don’t care about speed, so that strategy may not work for your goals. But that being said, I still get about 10-day levels so it’s not as bad as it sounds like it would be.

Another factor is how many reviews you want to have per day later. All of those lessons turn into reviews multiple times over, and your reviews rate is eventually going to be about 8 x your lesson rate.

I’m not going to advocate for a specific amount, I think that’s been pretty well covered already, but I will say that you shouldn’t be afraid of getting items wrong during review. The entire purpose of SRS is to maintain a focus on items you have difficulty until you stop having difficulty with them; and then they get cycled into lower frequency. Having percentages all nice and big and apparent is something I wish WK didn’t do – it causes people to fixate on those numbers when it’s kind of beside the point, and having low percentages can be really stressful.

1 Like

All of them! :wink: gotta go fast.

Forgetting is normal and is important that you fail these items. Just do them again when they pop up.

1 Like

A good rule of thumb that I follow is to have no more than around 100 in apprentice at a time(this also depends on your comfort level!).
As they move up to guru and I feel comfortable, I do a few more lessons. If your precentage on reviews is eighty or lower, take a step back and review what you have. I try to keep my accuracy no lower than 90 and things move pretty smooth.

Some advice from someone who recently reset from level 23 (Don’t binge lessons!!)
I had so many I couldn’t remember. It was an absolute mess

1 Like

I do a maximum of 20 a day if it’s only vocab, 5-10 if it’s Kanji.

However if I see that I have a lot (about 150) of reviews in the next 24 hours I skip doing lessons, if necessary also for several days. It all comes down how much time you want to invest, so your personal pace might be a different than that of other people.

Just keep in mind that all those lessons pop up as reviews later, so if you do a lot on one day you will have huge spike of reviews later on.

2 Likes

yes that’s exactly what i like to do, too! still do too many mistakes. no rushing is best i think, it’s rly a big amount of words and meanings we have to remember TqT

1 Like

I do 15- 5 in the morning, afternoon and evening

Forgetting to bathe, eat, sleep or interact with the outside world = probably too many

Forgotten what WK does and why you signed up = probably not enough

Without being facetious: don’t think there is a right answer. Depends on how quickly you want or need to learn, how easily you learn and most importantly how much free time you have to study Japanese (and how much of that you want to devote to learning via WK rather than doing grammar, listening practice, speaking practice or reading).

1 Like

I posted that a while back in another topic asking the same question.

1 Like

I do the Radicals and Kanji the moment they are available and usually some vocab to go with them.
I generally add the rest of the vocab over the course of the week or so that i take on each level.

As long as you stay on top of the reviews its all durable, however if you let things slip it can be a living nightmare to clear the back log.

Dont let things slip if you can help it :slight_smile:

I do all of my lessons as soon as they come up (unless I don’t have time to finish them). I’d rather get everything into a queue and worry about learning it later rather than have a bunch of lessons piling up on me.

Also, I’m always trying to get to the vocabulary as soon as possible. Vocabulary helps me remember the various readings for kanji, so learning individual kanji can sometimes be a pain until I’ve seen it in a vocab word a few times. Sometimes I wish I could just skip radicals, learn vocab, and then learn kanji lol.

1 Like

That’s if you have 100% accuracy. In practice it’s always more. For instance, I have about 90% accuracy across the levels (a bit less in A1), and that gives me 10.15 reviews per lesson. The difference might not seem big, but multiplied by your lesson rate, that can end up being many more minutes per day.

Source: Choosing the right pace for your lessons (thanks to queueing theory) - #34 by Tenoch

2 Likes

I’m at about the same point in my WaniKani experience and try to do all lessons as they become available. Whenever I can’t manage to learn something on the first try the SRS swoops in and makes me learn it by not reducing the review frequency for that item. Keep in mind that a lot of things at these levels are repetitive so the learning load isn’t the same for all sets of 5 lessons. Sometimes you get the same counter with four different number examples and can learn them without much effort while other times you get completely unrelated kanji.

IMO as long as you do the lessons the SRS will do the rest.

I’m doing WK with 8 days/level and i get about 100 reviews in the morning and the evening. Somtimes it’s more, somtimes less. I have an accuracy of 90% and I’m absolute fine with this.

By the way, does anyone know a userscript, that limits review size? Sometimes I’ve only got time for 20 or 50 reviews, but I have to take the whole stack. This results in many items that I answered “half” (e.g. only meaning), which costs extra time :frowning:

~T :lion:

No userscript needed. There’s a button during reviews called the wrap up button that will finish the session after 10 more reviews. This also makes sure to finish the half-finished items from that session.

OMG, Thank you! I always wondered what this button is used for, but of course only once clicking it does nothing :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.