How many lessons should I be doing in a day?

Hey,
I’ve been using WaniKani for about 2-3 weeks now but I was just wondering how many lessons do people generally do in one day. I have 42+ lessons available to me, but I don’t want to do loads in one day in case I forget any. Do you find it useful to do a lot in one day or should I pace it out over many days?

1 Like

People have very strong opinions on that, but frankly its something you’ll have to feel out for yourself. When I first started, I was sure I’d sweep wanikani in a year. I totally burned out, now I’m in the “taking it slow” camp, and I limit my lessons to keep about 30 or so items in Apprentice at any time (for some, that’s abysmally low, but just fine by me).

Just be careful if you’re worried about winding up under a mountain of reviews, since often that situation sneaks up on people.

5 Likes

Do whatever you’re comfortable with.
I personally do ten or so, get comfy with those, then do another ten.

Unless you need Japanese for work or something, take your time. Better to go at a comfortable pace and take a long time, than to try and rush, get burnt out and frustrated, and quit. IMO

7 Likes

Absolutely and totally this :arrow_up: !

Personally, I like consistancy, so I do the same number of lessons every morning at the same time of day so I know exactly when my reviews will be and so the review batches will also be of a consistant size.

5 Likes

I usually just do all of them as soon as they crop up… Which is probably why i get so frustrated at not learning stuff well enough. But i usually remember them after i get annoyed at getting them wrong enough times…

4 Likes

(You freaked me out a bit there, @Naphthalene, with your all-white avatar - thought I’d been liked by a ghost :ghost:. On that topic, can I put in a wee request for a one-day reappearance of that lovely pale green you started with?:green_heart:)

1 Like

May I direct you to my online tool : Choosing the right pace for your lessons (thanks to queueing theory) - #34 by Tenoch

It will give you an order of magnitude of the amount of reviews you’ll get every day, based on how many lessons you do per day. It’s meant to compute things for when you already started burning items, but you can still use it as an upper limit for the future. For now you’ll get much less reviews than what the tool says.

4 Likes

Exactly 12

2 Likes

I dont move on with lessons until I have a fairly high accuracy on the reviews. Its a little slower, but my accuracy isnt that high so for me it works better in that pace.

3 Likes

Depends, at first it’s easy to do everything but that will hit you hard when they come back later. The best thing is find out how much you can handle.

I try to keep my apprantice count between 70 and 100. At this level I pretty much do all the radicals when they are available. When I study the kanji I only study 10 a day because I usually fuck up on the first reviews and having more kanji just makes it harder. When I reach the vocab I do 20 as long as it doesn’t go over the 100 apprantice count too much. This works for me beacuse I’m much better at learning vocab and radicals then kanji. This method also leaves me with around 120 reviews a day which is just enough for me.

3 Likes

I’m not white, the background is just transparent :wink: which means you can only see the shell on a dark background (such as the dark theme of the forum).

I am planning to get the light green one back at level 60 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

what about a gold one :durtle_the_explorer:

2 Likes

The badge is already golden though. That feels redundant. I may use the rainbow again when I burn everything though.

To prevent further derailing the thread: I am doing 30 lessons a day, if available. (I also use the reorder script to get the radicals first)

2 Likes

I do ALL of them. I figure, even if I can’t remember that many, then I’ll just fail the apprentice review until I DO remember them. Also, I don’t care about speed, so that strategy may not work for your goals. But that being said, I still get about 10-day levels so it’s not as bad as it sounds like it would be.

Another factor is how many reviews you want to have per day later. All of those lessons turn into reviews multiple times over, and your reviews rate is eventually going to be about 8 x your lesson rate.

I’m not going to advocate for a specific amount, I think that’s been pretty well covered already, but I will say that you shouldn’t be afraid of getting items wrong during review. The entire purpose of SRS is to maintain a focus on items you have difficulty until you stop having difficulty with them; and then they get cycled into lower frequency. Having percentages all nice and big and apparent is something I wish WK didn’t do – it causes people to fixate on those numbers when it’s kind of beside the point, and having low percentages can be really stressful.

1 Like

All of them! :wink: gotta go fast.

Forgetting is normal and is important that you fail these items. Just do them again when they pop up.

1 Like

A good rule of thumb that I follow is to have no more than around 100 in apprentice at a time(this also depends on your comfort level!).
As they move up to guru and I feel comfortable, I do a few more lessons. If your precentage on reviews is eighty or lower, take a step back and review what you have. I try to keep my accuracy no lower than 90 and things move pretty smooth.

Some advice from someone who recently reset from level 23 (Don’t binge lessons!!)
I had so many I couldn’t remember. It was an absolute mess

1 Like

I do a maximum of 20 a day if it’s only vocab, 5-10 if it’s Kanji.

However if I see that I have a lot (about 150) of reviews in the next 24 hours I skip doing lessons, if necessary also for several days. It all comes down how much time you want to invest, so your personal pace might be a different than that of other people.

Just keep in mind that all those lessons pop up as reviews later, so if you do a lot on one day you will have huge spike of reviews later on.

2 Likes

yes that’s exactly what i like to do, too! still do too many mistakes. no rushing is best i think, it’s rly a big amount of words and meanings we have to remember TqT

1 Like

I do 15- 5 in the morning, afternoon and evening