How many lessons per set are YOU set to?

Only you can do that.
Click “hide results”, then vote again.

As for batch size, as @Vanilla said

Ain’t got no time to click on silly “continue with lessons” buttons. (I usually do 30-50 items in one sitting, so anything else than 10 feels frustrating. I would go with 15 if the option existed)

2 Likes

Usually anywhere from 5 to 8, depending on how many are in the lesson (usually in the 40s or 50s). At the end, I don’t want to end up with only 1 or 2 in a set, but maybe I’m strange😉

5, I like being able to stretch to 25 lessons if I’m feeling particularly ambitious that day

Wait… We agree on something???

1 Like

3x5 a day for me

We have our moments.

2 Likes

Mine is set at 7 (I remember from psych classes that 7 was the optimal number of new items that could be stored in and recalled from short-term memory) - I do 3 batches of 7 each morning.

1 Like

Recent research shows that it seems to be closer to 4, actually. (With variations between people, obviously).
That being said, do what works for you, theoretical results are meaningless in everyday life
This paper has a quick review of those findings.
In case you do not have access to it, the important sentence in there:

Cowan’s formula has been applied in a growing number of studies (9, 18, 19), often in combination with electrophysiological measures (20, 21) or functional neuroimaging (12⇓–14). The measures seem to converge on a human capacity of approximately four simple objects in WM.

(emphasis mine; WM = Working Memory)

Also, welcome back to the forum, I feel like I haven’t seen you in a while :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The more items, the harder it is to remember them during the quiz, which forces you to make good mnemonics, and helps your accuracy later on.

1 Like

100 apprentice and 500 guru. Or no lessons.

7! (not factorial, just excitement)
5 felt to few, and 10 felt to many.
Also 7 feels like a very optimistic number in my culture.
I do 14 lessons every day unless I have no lessons (rare)
it brings me to level up pretty much every 15 days.

I actually just discovered the option to change it today, but I decided not to (accidentally clicked the wrong option on the poll, though). I like doing 5. It’s not too much, and I can power though a bunch of them if I feel like them. (I often do 40 in a sitting, or however many it gives me.) But it also gives me a good spot to take a break if I get overwhelmed.

I didn’t even realize you could change it.

And yet mine’s set to 10, so I must have done it sometime in the past.

2 Likes

I’ve been stuck on 5 because I never noticed it was changeable. Officially joining the 10 master race as of level 30! :smiley:

1 Like

Well that’s freaky. That’s why I set mine to 7 too. I also do 2-3 batches of 7 per day.

@Nath: and that highlights the importance of staying current on research! But 7 works for me in batches of 2-3 so I’ll probably stick with that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s more important to match what feels right for you than trying to emulate some results from unrealistic lab settings. As long as “but science” isn’t the only reason you were doing 7, there’s nothing wrong with that :slight_smile:
Research IS important, but taking research results out of context can do more harm than good. I’m not implying anyone should do 4 instead of what they are currently doing.

I’ve been using this system since I learned about it ~12 years ago in psychology :slight_smile: I tried various different numbers before I landed on 7 as a good number for me. In part it probably boils down to how I’ve trained my brain to deal with certain types of information.

2 Likes

I had a crude and poetic pun about bite-sized batches, but I opted against posting it :sweat_smile: for fear of the mighty moderators.

I also use 7. I felt like 5 was sometimes too few and didn’t feel like substantial enough of a lesson, and I would end up doing too many lessons before quitting (and giving myself too many items to remember) before I would stop. With seven, one batch is perfect. I have to think about attempting the second batch, and really consider the third. Doing that stopped me from accidentally overloading myself when I started needing to slow down.

Also, 42 divides by 7 nicely. 6 batches of seven = 42.

1 Like

10 because it’s so hard to push myself to do lessons at all that anything less and I don’t progress