How does this grammar work?

I just recently encountered this sentence “どうしても会っておきたかったの” which I translated as “I just wanted to meet you, no matter what.” The thing I’m confused about is this おきたかった. I managed to find it in weblio but I still don’t get it. In this sentence what’s the difference between the original and just 会いたかった? I’ve tried looking elsewhere online but I haven’t had any luck.

it’s teoku + tai forms.

http://maggiesensei.com/2017/04/06/new-how-to-use-vておく-te-oku/

1 Like

Thanks, I’m still a bit fuzzy on it but it cleared a few things up for me. I’ll see if there’s anywhere else that describes it better since personally Maggie’s site doesn’t really work well for me too often.

As konekush mentioned, it’s the past たい form of おく, and when it’s put together with the て-form of a verb it indicates doing something in preparation/in advance/beforehand

So to answer your question, using 会っておきたかった, it gives the feeling that they wanted to meet the other person beforehand/before doing something, compared to just saying 会いたかった which would plainly imply they wanted to meet. I’m assuming in the context of the sentence that the speaker was going to do something but wanted to meet the other person beforehand or in preparation for something

That makes sense, It’s from the Japanese version of a game called Kingdom Hearts 2. I would explain what it is the speaker was going to do in which she wanted to meet the listener for, but the story between those 2 points is a bit long and complex.

2 Likes

Didn’t know about te oku form.
I’m always amazed with the subtilities/styles of japanese language that doesn’t exist in english/french.

2 Likes

It’s incredibly funny that that’s the context, because somehow when I read the explanation for the grammar provided above, I immediately heard Namine in my head saying, “I wanted to meet you, at least once.”

Nerd power.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.