How does one say "the ga particle"

I’m talking to people on hello talk and we’ve started bouncing questions about our respective languages off each other and I was able to answer and help them out but I can’t for the life of me seem to come up with a way of writing my question/request/issue in any understandable way.

I’m trying to ask for help with the ga particle and have tried every which way I can think of (in both English and Japanese) and can’t seem to get it right, I basically want to say “can you help me with the ga particle” or “I need help with” anything along those lines will do.

助詞 is a word for “particle”.

So maybe something along the lines of
「が」の助詞の使い方があまりわかりません。
“I don’t really understand how to use the “ga” particle.”

I’m no expert, but maybe this would be understandable. Although, if you can form a more precise English question, it might help. Maybe you could find example sentences where you don’t understand the usage, and ask about those specifically.

I agree with @Saruko on just explaining が by using 助詞. You could go further if you need help with a specific usage by using either 格助詞 or 接続助詞 if you know exactly which usage of が is causing you problems, though depending on who you’re asking, that may or may not be useful (since the Japanese are no better about remembering grammar terminology than English speakers are).

You can also say, 「が」は助詞(じょし)としてどうやってつかいますか?

助詞として is ‘"ga’ as a particle."
どうやって使いますか is “how do I use”

If you want to request help specifically, 「が」は助詞(じょし)として使い方(つかいかた)を説明(せつめい)してくれませんか?

助詞として is the same as before
使い方を説明して is "explain the way to use"
くれませんか is a polite way of asking something of someone.

I would probably just go the easiest way and say something like:

「が」の使い方を説明してくれませんか

Edit: I feel like most natives would understand what you’re asking. Personally, I try to use words I’ve learned before (I wouldn’t know how to say ‘particle’ in Japanese)

Enunciation is the biggest reason why I’d recommend mentioning the particle. I have no way of knowing how the OP speaks, after all. Assuming the proper emphasis and/or space is given for が, understanding should be easy. Also assuming that the question is being asked with the context of grammar already established. I’m pretty sure if I just went up to someone and asked how to use が, their mind would consider 画 long before the particle itself.

My solution is indeed likely more difficult than necessary, but I don’t like making assumptions and easily get stuck on small details, so I’m usually overly thorough. :upside_down_face:

I dropped in here because I was curious about the pronunciation of “ga.” With some vowels directly before, I often hear a “nga.” Is this correct?

Yeah I hear that to, it’s like it starts with the end of the English word ring. Sometimes it is so soft you can barely here it, but that could also just be the way it’s pronounced locally.

yup, it’s a thing
https://community.wanikani.com/search?q=nasal

A pretty soft nasal though, like a soft ga.

Thanks all, it is quite frustrating being hampered by such a minor thing. I originally told them sentence ordering was an issue and they had no idea how to explain that so I decided to ask about something more specific instead.

Most of the people I’ve learned Japanese from are from the Kansai region and almost everyone there pronounces ga with a hard G sound. It always sounds a little funny to me when I hear Tokyo-ites pronouncing it like “nga”. From what I understand, though, this is considered a more formal “TV Newsreader” type pronunciation, though it certainly appears in daily speech too.

Funny thing is that if you point out the difference (between ga and nga pronounciations) to Japanese people, most of them in my experience seem not to have ever noticed it.