How do/did you learn te-form? (or grammar in general)

I got used being bad at it. Till i didn’t any longer

1 Like

Almost all of what I’ve learned about grammar came from the amazing Human Japanese software/app (it’s advertised as a digital textbook series but it also includes memorization games, quizzes, dialogue with built in audio, cultural notes, etc.) I love flashcards and WK for vocab and kanji, but HJ is my favourite for grammar. The chapters and explanations of how things work are just so much easier to undertand than any other articles or textbooks I’ve used in the past. The narrator has a friendly, casual tone with some jokes thrown in too which makes it a super easy read in my opinion. It’s also waaay cheaper than other textbooks and works perfectly on my tablet. Anyway I hope this helps and good luck learning! :smiley: (Both the apps and PC version are here: https://www.humanjapanese.com/)

2 Likes

mainly utaites (歌い手)

Have you finished all 3 books already?

I found this site very handy:

It gives you random verbs and it even lets you practice with V-ない forms as well; something which is also handy to do!

I promise you if you just do the site for about 10 to 15 minutes, you’ll never forget how to make the て- form AND the た- form, as they behave exactly the same way :wink:

1 Like

I basically learned its uses one by one by doing exercises in my grammar textbook Minna no Nihongo, and practicing with the rest of the class, and teacher. For the conjugations I mostly used Katsu: practise Japanese conjugation - 活用

2 Likes

oh huh that site is in Dutch, handyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Yeah, a guy at my Japanese school made it. There is a thread for us Dutchies on the forum: For those of you who speak Dutch, if you haven’t seen it yet.

2 Likes

Mainly by going through Bunpro.

This seems really useful. Thanks a lot!

This has a lot of options! This will help a lot, thanks!

1 Like

ROFL, no way. I have read through A LOT of the first one though, and it’s been very helpful for helping me understand which structures natives prefer when expressing specific ideas in specific circumstances. I mainly reference them when I realize that there is something I need to understand deeper. Whenever a sentence in my JLPT prep materials bricks my brain, it’s usually because there is some hidden nuance to one of the grammatical structures used in the sentence.

There’s two ways to learn any grammar:

• read about, study, memorize
  • pick up from input

Whichever one you do first, you should then try to do the other one. (Sometimes, when you learn grammar from anime/reading/etc, you misunderstand it and learn it wrong. Or you miss important things like nuance or limitations on when you can use it.)

Grammar is harder than kanji or vocab, because you can’t just do matching games, you have to actually understand the grammra and be able to pick it out of (or use it in) sentences. Expect grammar learning to be slow compared to doing WK.

I used Minna no Nihongo (red and blue basic books only) and the Kanzen Master grammar books. When in doubt, usually with the N2 grammar, I looked up youtube videos of whatever I was studying.

So, just on the topic of the て form:

what is the difference between it and the imperative form? In translation, I mean.

Ending a sentence with ~て is generally an abbreviation for ~てください, “please do it”.

Imperative form is a command - “do it!”

1 Like

Thank you!

So using て form would generally be considered polite?

More polite, yes. It’s not at the top of the scale, but it’s polite enough for common courtesy.

1 Like

Yes this is true, I’ve been so confused by people ending their sentences with ~て and I was like wait, there should be another sentence, or at least something after a ~て -form, but apparently in conversations etc. can be informal enough to abbreviate ~てください or just to end in a ~て form as the speaker doesn’t remember his/her full sentence anymore and has to start a new one.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.