How do you read Kana faster?

I wouldn’t recommend them. Due to how you select the kana/romaji, it’s easy to memorize their locations in the attack menu rather than actually learning them.

Although this whole thread old, so for all we know you’re already a kana pro, I’m writing this up anyway in case it’s useful to OP or anyone else.

Anki helps me cram in extra kana practice, I add vocabulary I come across in the wild or when I burn it on wanikani (if I think it’s useful).

For most entries in Anki I will have 3 cards
English front → Kanji and Kana back
Kanji front → English and Kana back
Kana front → English and Kanji back

Looking at the stats for this vocab deck I average 11.66 cards per minutes, and spent 10 minutes / day on that deck - so ~116 vocab cards a day.
This is on top of my verb deck, my kana <-> roumaji deck, listening practice decks, and I’ve started building sentence and grammar decks.
All up I spend ~ 27 minutes a day reviewing Anki, and in that time i get a lot more exposure than I would from WK alone - on top of WK and reading most days.

The reason I love Anki is that I can get through a much higher workload in much shorter time with much less stress, and as a bonus it helps me retain burned Wanikani vocab and practice my reading.

In addition to this, +1 / extending on ideas mentioned

1. minimise roumaji usage in your study - if you can express the idea using Kana and arrows that is better than roumaji
    e.g. “to express wanting to do a verb you take the masu-sterm form, remove, masu and add tai”
    vs “want to X: Xます → Xたい

2. practice typing out kana
    e.g. I write out lines of manga to then do breakdowns, this makes me read lines multiple times to check for mistakes - and I’m getting better at seeing patterns.

3. reflect on how you read in English - you still make mistakes, you’re just better at catching or skipping over them if you have enough context to work with anyway;
    and reflect on how you learned to read in English - remember how slow you were when you first started reading English and what things you did to improve (hint: probably practice).

4. find things to read that you enjoy, and try read a bunch of it, even if you don’t understand it all - heck maybe even if you don’t understand most or all of it - the purpose here is to just get better at reading speed not necessarily comprehension.

TL;DR you’ll get better over time at what you practice, if your primary practice is the WK sentences then I’m not sure you’ll get enough exposure from them, so try find ways of increasing your overall kana exposure.

1 Like