How do you edit userscripts (in particular WaniKani Improve 2.2.2)?

Hello!

I’ve downloaded the enormously useful WaniKani Improve 2.2.2. lately, and while it is really great I have a question about it. I admittedly asked this twice already on the thread specifically related to that userscript, here but since I wasn’t getting any replies from it (probably because it was a bit old) I’m asking it again in a place, where it will hopefully be more visible.

Basically, while I like the increased speed of it, I’d personally prefer it if there was a bit more time before moving on to the next question, enough time so I could see the bar turn green for example. And apparently, you can personalize the time yourself, if you change a variable in the code. However, as a complete and utter noob at coding, I have no idea how to do this. :sweat_smile:

So, could somebody give me a step-by-step guide on how to change the code so there’s more time between questions? It would be nice if the steps were specifically related to this particular userscript, since I have no idea what I’m doing here, but some more general tips would be helpful as well

Thanks!

1 Like

You could maybe consider using rfindley’s lightning mode script instead.

Reason I suggest it is it has the same basic functionality and it actually gets supported and updated.

2 Likes

You can edit the copy that is in your browser’s local storage, after downloading it.

In Chrome, go to Tools > Extensions > TamperMonkey (or whichever script runner extension you’re using), and > Options.

Within TamperMonkey’s options, switch to the Installed Userscripts tab, click the name of the script you want to edit, and then you’ll have an editor.

Make your changes and hit the Save button. This modifies your local copy. If you’re not confident in what you’re doing make a backup by cutting and pasting the entire script somewhere else first.

It’s important that you reload any pages that are using it that you currently have open, so they get a fresh copy. You won’t see the effects of any changes until you reload.

I’ve also made a change to my copy of this same script - within ten minutes of downloading it, earlier today, I removed the fadeIn().fadeOut()… for answers that were “a bit off”. I’m very sloppy in the way I type the meanings, and habitually leave off the last few letters almost every time, just to save my fingers from wearing out. So having that thing throbbing every time was a pain!

1 Like

As for personalizing the time between questions, though, there’s an option for that; look for a settings button in the lower right of a review page. I have mine set to 2/3rds of a second, long enough to see the verdict flash onscreen before moving on. No programming changes required.

1 Like

Thank you, that was very helpful.