How do you all practice writing Kanji?

a remedy for that may be to write with a stylus, which you can probably also buy for a phone, besides coming with some tablets. just if anyone’s wondering.

1 Like

Just to clarify, the critique against WK in that video is bad and full of factual errors.
But yeah, there are already lengthy discussions of it in the forum. (and i commented on YT)

2 Likes

It might be a remedy for swapping from finger to stylus, but it still is not a good enough solution in my opinion. On phone (or tablet) the characters are written on slippery surface, the size of the characters is much bigger than in normal use and mostly are written as one character at a time.

In my honest opinion nothing beats pen and paper if the goal is to be able to write with pen and paper. Of course apps are a good substitute for some on-the-go practice like while commuting. However, just app alone would not be enough.

1 Like

Yesss, this app is not free but it’s awesome. You can create your own kanji lists, maybe one for each wanikani level, so its easier to keep track of what you are learning.

Sorry, after re-reading, it wasn’t very clear that you suggested the video rather than RtK, I edited my post to hopefully reflect that. :sweat_smile:

I got curious about the discussion and decided to look for it. Here’s the link for those interested

I used to practice writing kanji when I first started studying Japanese, but after some time I realized it just takes too much time, slows down my progress and I don’t really need to learn writing them by hand. That’s because I don’t plan on taking any JLPT exams, since i’m doing it just for myself.

3 Likes

JLPT doesn’t require you to write, or even speak for that matter. It’s all reading and listening.

1 Like

I use the third party website KaniWani and write down the vocabulary and kanji before typing it into the answer box.

1 Like

in this day and age, I just copy it from the textbook to the best of my ability I don’t look at strokes or anything. I think in general its becoming more of a text/type world than handwritten so I think you should not worry about perfectly written Kanji.

Nah, that’s a cheap way to get a lot of views and ‘interaction’: pick a popular thing, take a contrary position and then overstate it to the extreme. Automatic ‘wrong on the internet’ buzz. He knows what he’s doing. (AND it’s trashy)

1 Like

Woah that’s a good point. I use KaniWani too and that never occurred to me. Reviews are still at a very manageable level so I think I can give this a decent go. Good shout! I don’t think i’m gonna be very accurate but at least i’ll know where I need help.

1 Like

i use graph paper because the little squares help me make sense of where in space to put the strokes. i practice repetition on a little dry erase marker board because it’s fun. like a lot of people here i follow jisho’s stroke order.

1 Like

not sure if you meant it that way but there is only one correct stroke order, as far as i know. Maybe some platforms get it wrong sometimes.
actually it seems like stroke order isn’t as fixed in Japanese:

but for the most common Kanji it should be mostly standardized.

1 Like

yep, that’s a thing i did not know. thanks for the resource!

I don’t bother writing Kanji (at least at the moment). I think it’s one of the things that has the lowest priority when it comes to learning a language, especially in the digital age where most things are just typed anyways.

This video sort of cemented this for me. Even native Japanese people have trouble writing some Kanji.

1 Like

Interesting video! True, though i think there were only 4 or 5 wrongly written ones in 20 or so (unfortunately didn’t count), and 2 of them were by the same girl. 不良な女の子ね :wink:
The “Kanji is hard, why can’t we just use hiragana?” comment was hilarious though.

1 Like

Yea it’s definitely going to differ from person to person, depending on how often they have to use writing in daily life. I feel like it’s the same as an English speaker. There are words I rarely use and have to look up how to spell them while there are words that are so frequently used and read, that I can easily just write them down. Can the same not apply to kanji (excluding stroke order)?

1 Like

Sure, though the same level as your spelling ability for english probably means being able to write 1000+ kanji correctly, more or less.
And there’s always that one guy in the room who knows every word and can spell all of it correctly (and probably write all Joyo kanji from memory). Of course you don’t have to be that guy for Japanese :wink:

1 Like

Well, yes, but also no, I think. Your spelling in English or other alphabetic language naturally gets better the more you read, because it just looks ‘wrong’ until you get it right. I’m not sure the same is true of reading kanji - they’re much more easy to just recognize at a glance and not really look at.

But then, I can’t know, since I don’t even know many kanji yet

1 Like

Yeah, also true to some extent, though many people also look at their (when it should be they’re) every day and don’t notice the difference.