How do "all WaniKani, nothing else" type learn grammar?

So, I think I know a decent number of vocab, and I am returning to grammar. It is easier to stick to practical aspects of Japanese, but not to grammar tests themselves. I mean, I might be able to do better in speaking and listening, while still doing bad in exam…

I think so, until… I see the wall approaching nearer and nearer. I am going through みんなの日本語4, and have bought Tobira in advance, but I am not sure it will go well.

So, what is the best way to learn grammar? I am trying Human Japanese, and bought it. I like to “level up” aspect of Human Japanese. Preventing from being too fast is good. Cannot skip levels is good.

However, I don’t always like reading the text. I prefer drilling more. I like mindlessly copying and typing in huge amount. I like mindlessly listening in huge amount… as long as I don’t have to think too much about it.

Oh, I am also an intermediate-to-advance Anki user, by the way.

I’m planning to do bulk volume WaniKani stuff (going a bit off the grid, using WaniKani data but my own method) to try it out. I wanna see if knowing enough kanji and vocab means you can learn grammar through reading. It’ll be interesting to see…

At least I can say that knowing enough vocab from WaniKani alone obviously isn’t enough.

Knowing enough vocab from Core 10k is what I am doing, while going through Japanese Graded Reader… I am getting stuck at comfort zone level 2. I can read level 3, but it is not comfortable.

Knowing enough vocab from JLPT vocab list… I am at the end of N3 vocab, getting stuck with some words. I would be probably be stepping into N2 vocab soon, but I feel imbalanced if I don’t have an appropriate material I can regularly read. I feel that this is the reason why I couldn’t remember some N3 vocab.

So, I seek resort from listening practice and grammar books. I like listening to questions and try to answer questions.

Grammar books are hardest to approach.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.