How can I say ~esque or ~like in Japanese?

This is something I learned in the past and can’t seem to remember, nor can I find proper info when searching online now. There is some sort of modifier that can be used in Japanese that is the equivalent of ~esque or ~like.

For instance how could I say:
Ball-like
Egg-like
Sailormoon-esque
… things like this.

2 Likes

Sounds like you want 的.

7 Likes

also 〜っぽい

ボールっぽい
たまごっぽい
セーラムーンっぽい

But 〜てき is also fine. I just like how 〜っぽい sounds I guess :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You might be thinking of 〜っぽい, 〜らしい or the plain old 〜的.

11 Likes

Didn’t know about っぽい. Good to know!

2 Likes

Ah, also 〜みたい. Which I guess has more of a “seems like” or “…seeming” feel to it.

Maybe this is more info than OP needs, but I remember learning in a 日本語の森 video that you can’t use Xらしい for something that isn’t actually X.

In their example, a manly man can be 男らしい, but a girly man can’t be 女らしい (unless it turns out to have actually been a woman all along)

EDIT: elaborating a bit further, らしい has a second-hand information aspect to it. So I think 太郎は男らしいよ! would be something like “Taro is so manly” but 太郎は女らしいよ!would be something like “(based on hearsay or similar) Taro is actually a woman!” :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Thanks for all the help so far. All of these are new to me so I assume there’s even more ways to say this including the one that’s escaping me. That’s alright though these are all great!

Just be careful with 〜っぽい, it has a negative connotation. (something is like something else, but it isn’t supposed to be that way)
らしい and みたい are better suited for this purpose if you want to express a positive/neutral opinion.
Source: https://cotoacademy.com/rashii-mitai-poi/

2 Likes
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.