Houhou 1.2 - Dictionary and SRS application for Windows

Is there a way to get all possible kanji for a specific set of radicals? When I click on multiple radicals, then I get the kanji that use all of them. Can I anyhow get all kanji that use one of them and contain no radicals except for the selected?

Not related to Houhou, but you may find [The Kanji Map] interesting. Itā€™s an interactive tool for exploring the relationships between kanji and radicals.

6 Likes

Thereā€™s no way to do that, sorry.

Anyone able to convert this to MacOS?

Nope! (omg this new forum is so bad)

1 Like

What makes you say that?

The old forums were held together by duct tape and barely functioned. The new forums are awesome.

I donā€™t like how it looks, I donā€™t like the infinite scrolling feature and I had to improvise something to say after ā€œnopeā€ because somehow the system refused to let me post until I had convinced it that my post was a ā€œcomplete sentenceā€, whatever that means for it.

As this is not the topic, Iā€™ve said all I had to say on the subject and will not discuss it further.

1 Like

Well, Iā€™d discuss Houhou, but after the issues I had back in May, it still behaved weirdly and I stopped using it. Oh well.

1 Like

So I just downloaded Houhou recently, testing it mostly by importing old WK vocab and having it select some terms at random each night for me to brush up on.

But by now Iā€™ve added enough of my own vocab that the daily new WK words are getting in the way more than anything, is there an option to stop Houhou from automatically adding more terms?

If they are at a certain SRS level like Aprentice 1, which they probably should be by default, then you can select all from that SRS level and bulk suspend them. If not and theyā€™re seperate, then you have to do it individually.

Yeah you can use the ā€œBrowse SRS itemsā€ button from your SRS dashboard and mass suspend.

Thanks! I toned it down from 20 new terms every 11:00pm to just 3 sprinkled in each day.

Iā€™m really loving this application by the way, wish Iā€™d known of it sooner :slight_smile:

I wonder if this will work for Mac? According to ā‡“, installing on Mac might be plausible?

I googled Mono, but I know nothing about C#ā€¦

Does anyone have a Mac machine, and willing to compile C#?

You can try installing Wine-Mac on your mac machine and run HouHou.exe. No need to recompile. But I donā€™t know if Wine-Mac can fully support WPF based softwares.

Last time I tried Houhou would not run on Mac or Linux, even with Wine and all the fiddling in the world.

Did you use Mono or Wine?

Both.

2 Likes

Just a couple of quick questions:
Is HouHou still supported by the developer?
Any news on cloud syncing?

Thanks!

Itā€™s still supported, meaning I will answer to your mails, help you if something doesnā€™t work, etc, but development is halted for now.
As much as Iā€™d like to resume it, itā€™s not going to happen anytime soon because I lack time. Sorry!

5 Likes

No worries! Just thought Iā€™d check. Thanks!