Help sifting through the ENORMOUS amounts of resources available

Thanks for the advice! Everyone here as inspired me to sign up so, it’s good to know ahead of time. I definitely could see myself being a little more confident than I should be!

1 Like

Always a pleasure to serve. I hope you like it! And take @yuraino’s advice: Don’t slam the “I know this!” button. That’s very good advice right there.

Good luck with your studies! 頑張って!

2 Likes

I just dont use them all

I am the lazy student, just let SRS do its thing. Working fine with wk, my acuracy is around 91%. And bunpro around 85%.

what I need now is a way to increase my reading speed, so far is slow, for trailer in games or anime i cant read everything is thrown at the screen. Always the beginning and that’s it. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No problem :slight_smile: I speak from personal experience XD cries in overzealous

Just knocked out all my lessons and reviews for the day! How goes your studying? :slight_smile:

CureDolly for sure. The first 8 or 9 of the “from scratch” playlist REALLY cleared up why so much of what I had been seeing appeared so disjointed. Japanese is my fifth new language and I couldn’t figure out why the “conjugations” and “grammar points” seemed so odd until I watched this (and also started reading “Making Sense of Japanese”, which is where CureDolly got her base material). Also I watch the video at 1.5 or 1.75 to deal with the odd voicing and pace.

3 Likes

i started bunpro aswell recently, how far are u with your grammar points?

1 Like

I’ve been successfully using it to self-learn, and am about to finish the first book, so it is definitely possible! It’s a little intimidating at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly. The main textbook is entirely in Japanese, but there is a companion text that has some translations and grammar info, so you’re not completely helpless. I think the textbook does a pretty good job at gradually building on the foundation it has already taught you, so it’s never introducing too much new grammar at once to the point where it becomes overwhelming. Personally, I really like it because it has loads of reading practice, and it also encourages you to read Japanese in Japanese instead of having to translate everything.

I think the main trick to MNN is that it becomes very doable if you just pre-learn the vocab (either using Anki or another method) before reading the lesson chapter, so the only thing you have to worry about when reading is deciphering the grammar.

It’s definitely not the right textbook for everyone, but I’m happy that I decided to try it, and I’m going to be continuing with the second book :blush:

2 Likes

I’ve noticed with my little WK I can read signs on the bus or around the airport but, it’s like durtle speed. Just keep practicing. I believe in you!

1 Like

Haha I just did the same. I try to get them in the morning before I start my day and once again before bed so I don’t wake up to 100+ :rofl: I just did my first bunpro lesson too! So far, it’s nice. Do you find the articles that they give for extra reading helpful? Some I find to be a little confusing.

1 Like

5!? That’s amazing! What languages? I’ve seen a lot of articles talking about how Japanese is hard to learn from a Romance language perspective because it is such an implied language.

1 Like

That’s a good point that it’s a lot of reading practice! Is it mostly kanji or hiragana until you officially learn the kanji through the book? I have a lot of trouble figuring out when a word ends in actual sentences but I’ve heard it’s easier to decipher with Kanji. I’m really curious about the entire process but without having the book to peruse through, I’m hesitant to buy it.

The whole book just has kanji throughout, with furigana on everything. There are a few common words it has chosen to write in hiragana for some reason, but it reads more or less like normal Japanese text to me, except it does include a fair amount of spacing in the sentences, so that plus the furigana makes it a little easier. The main textbook doesn’t teach kanji at all (there are supplemental books for that, none of which I own, haha), but I’ve had no trouble whatsoever with that because WK is teaching me kanji instead.

I’ve gotten a lot out of the experience of reading it, but honestly if you’re happy with Genki and it’s working for you, you’d be fine just sticking with that! I know some people had an easier time with MNN than Genki, because the exercises are designed a little better for self-learners, and I’ve heard that MNN’s grammar drills are more straightforward than Genki’s. But many other people have used Genki just fine, so it really comes down to the individual. Both textbooks will get you roughly to the same place; MNN is just a little more thorough. The main thing is picking one main resource and sticking with it. Once you’re past the absolute beginner level, a lot of doors will open for you in terms of where you can go next with your studies.

1 Like

I finished N5 in less than one month (3 or 5 points per day, after all, it is really easy), then for N4 I started doing 2 points per day.

I am on a streak of 116 since I started and right now I am in N3 grammar points.

So far it is easier than N4 (those honorific are my nightmare).

I do around 45 reviews in bunpro per day, I do 2 grammar points per day and I can organize my time with wanikani like this.

2 Likes

I am currently using Irodori to familiarize myself with practical Japanese, WaniKani and KaniWani for kanji, I do a bit of Japanese from Zero Book1 with the youtube videos and I just started taking one on one classes (both for grammar ) where the tutor uses his own slides tailor made for beginners and he is awesome.

Check out Chad Zimmerman’s youtube page. I have watched all of his Japanese resource videos which will give you such a good feel for what type of resource you wish to use.

My preferred resources have been Duolingo, WaniKani, and Tae Kim’s Grammar guide (a physical purchased copy, primarily; not fond of e-books, and would be less consistent if I only tried to rely on the Tae Kim site or PDF). Of the three, I started with Duo and have been doing it the longest, so I’ve found it especially helpful to create an Anki deck that orders Duolingo words in a way determined heavily by their WaniKani level, although that will mostly pay dividends in Duo itself once I’ve finished most of the Anki deck (and I’ve slowed way down on Duo itself lately, while I try to make more permanent my memory of all the vocabulary I’ve seen in it over the last year, through the Anki deck). I’ve read through Tae Kim’s several times and am maybe 90% of the way through Duo; I was about 80% through Duo before starting to take WK seriously, and found as a result that I’ve been able to move quite quickly through the early Wk levels, although I expect that effect to level off as I get into harder vocabulary.

I think, were I start from scratch, I’d still use these three as my initial three primary sources, but probably focus heavily on Tae Kim’s, WK, and my Anki deck that I linked above, and take Duo more slowly, only accelerating emphasis on Duo once I was pretty far into the Anki deck (or when the others felt tedious and I just needed something different for a bit). Duo’s pretty good for in-context practice of common grammatical constructions, but not very good as a vocabulary SRS; I think it would be more effective to grind its vocabulary first.

I also did a quick (well, quick in the sense that I didn’t drill it very seriously SRS-style) run through of Remembering the Kanji vols 1-2 a few years ago, before any of the rest of this, and it overlaps a lot with WK’s Kanji coverage, so I think that’s also helped some, but frankly I think WK is just a more helpful pre-automated version of RTK. Doing RTK yourself basically just means making your own WK course, which has the advantage of being heavily personalized, but the disadvantage of taking way more time and effort, and I doubt the benefits are worth it for most people, unless WK is unaffordable for them.

I also on rare occasions watch Japanese Ammo with Misa videos, but so much of my time is taken up with my three primary resources that i can’t do them very much. Similarly, I bought a set of Japanese short stories, and dug up some ordered-by-Kanji-frequency free-to-read Japanese classic story repositories, but haven’t found them super helpful yet; I think I’m still in the stage where just grinding tons of vocabulary and practicing individual grammatical constructions in isolated settings is the most efficient path, even if it’s tedious. I also own some volumes of Genki and have tried to get into them, but mostly found their coverage redundant with or less well explained than in my primary resources. And I have a Bunpro account; I don’t have time for it right now, though, and from what I’ve tried with it, think it is significantly less polished than WK so far, though it seems like it will still be helpful for grinding grammar practice. Annnnd I also used Memrise maybe 3 years ago, too, although very casually; my memory is that it’s basically a more expensive version of Duolingo, and probably a bit worse, if anything, in quality. Lastly, I’ve been very slowly playing through a recent videogame (Ys 9: Monstrum Nox) in its Japanese language mode, and plan to try Nier: Automata similarly next, although with my current vocabulary, I spend way more time looking up vocabulary than playing (which is often a frustrating, time-consuming mix of hand-drawing Kanji into Google translate or automatically extracting Kanji from gameplay screenshots using Tesseract) – still, as my vocabulary gets larger, text-heavy videogames originally made in Japan, especially recent ones (which frequently have Japanese lang. modes), are definitely on my list of future resources. Once I get close to finishing with WK/TK/Duo & Duo-Anki, though, I may start watching more of them, and also starting in on the Kanzen Master series of books, as well as trying to actually read long-form native material directly.

I depends, but for the most part I find them pretty useful for context! :slight_smile: Kind of like WK, the usage is sometimes strange and hard to grasp, but nothing a quick google search hasn’t been able to solve :smiley:

I learned German first, then studied ancient Greek and Hebrew, then Spanish, now Japanese. This is over 50 years so it’s not a “YouTube Polyglot” thing, LOL. I’m rusty now in the first three and I’d say my German is B1-2 at best. Spanish I’m fluent after on-off studies for years and stints in Spain and Mexico. But about 3 years ago I started to really buckle down and I’m at C1 and currently living the winter in Mexico. I’m half Japanese so I decided it was time to speak to my 200+ relatives in Japan, so now I’m at it in Japanese. It is SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult than romance languages but similar to what I experienced with Hebrew (which probably makes complete sense). Setting Kanji aside though, Japanese is amazingly regular and logical with the particle system. It must be brutal for a Japanese person (like my Mom) to learn English with the irregular spellings and, well, irregular and exceptional everything!

5 Likes

i was like ( the hack already within a month?) but i realized that i also had over the half of lessons started after my first 6 days