Help Me Make a Thread with ALL The Readings for 日

As the title states; though, I want to go for ALL the readings, including very irregular ones.
I’ll start:
The う in 今日 (or I guess it makes an お sound?)

I’ll start:

I don’t think this is how readings work.

Apparently this is 熟字訓, or “reading of a kanji compound by meaning”.
This doesn’t mean う is a reading of 日.

4 Likes

今日 is an irregular word, so you wouldn’t consider the mora that make it up as being readings of the kanji. The sounds are kinda inseparable in this case. (read your edit, very interesting to know).

4 Likes

今日きょう is really an exceptional word. Don’t try to dissect it, this “reading” for 日 doesn’t occur in any other word. It probably evolved over time to that reading, as it tends to do with such common words.

Now as for こんにち, that’s regular. Both fairly common on-yomi readings.

2 Likes

Following the title, though:

Seems to be all of them.

9 Likes

More like, there was a Japanese word きょう meaning today, and the kanji 今日 fit that meaning.

6 Likes

Not totally on topic, but the classical spelling of きょう is probably the weirdest for me. I just threw my hands up the first time I saw it. >けふ

Yes, that was just how it was spelled. You would still say “kyou”.

4 Likes

From wordsense.eu:

1 Like

I think Saida’s point is just that all of that probably came before the kanji was associated with the word. Before it was “a reading” for 今日. I’m not sure what the exact timeline is though.

2 Likes

Yep. You win the thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

For other words-that-contain-日-but-aren’t-actually-readings-for-日:

昨日 (きのう) and 明日 (あした and/or あす). 一昨日 (おととい) and 明後日 (あさって). 一日 (ついたち).

4 Likes

1 Like

That actually seems fair, now that I’m saying it a bunch. :thinking:

I feel like we could do one for 生, if we are talking about Kanji with many readings, haha.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.