Help me, i cannot understand anything but know the kanji ;l

So, i am actually at lvl 5, but know only a little grammar in about 2 week’s i’m flying to Tokyo,JP to a Language school to learn Japanese, do you think that i should first learn as much Kanji and learn grammar later?
i know basic ones like これ,どれ、あれ、それ、この, and all the genders like 私たち、女たち etc… and some really basic grammar like は、が、の but i’m confused when it comes when to use は and が, i know that i should avoid using 私 because it sounds really “Weird”…

Any tips links etc? i am actually a member of JPod101 and WaniKani, i also use Duolingo but the issue there is that yes i can solve these puzzles but at the end i don’t know when to use it when it comes to speaking by myself…

Sorry for my bad Londonistan but today my English isn’t on point

You’re going to get much more out of studying grammar early on than studying kanji. Grammar is going to stop you from using or understanding Japanese more often. When that stops being the case, switch gears to kanji. I mean, you can keep going, but I would say a foundation of grammar before WK will do you much better than a foundation of kanji before grammar during that learning time.

2 Likes

I totally agree with Leebo. Might as well switch on vacation mode or only do reviews (no new lessons) while cramming in some grammar.

I’ve never thought of 私たち as a gender… it means “we”… and 彼女たち is “they” (ladies)… Or did that come out of your sleep. (maybe you only meant to use the second one?) Also, it’s perfectly acceptable for everyone to use 私, although if you’re a guy, 僕 is likely more normal in most situations… or 俺. Listen to what other people around you use when you get there.

Have fun in Tokyo! ^^ (Also, Duolingo won’t really teach you grammar. I’ve tried using it for other languages that I already know and it’s really very poor in that area. Look at other resources for that.)

5 Likes

Well, i meant by 私たち that this word is a Subject “Gender” etc… its not really a gender but it kinda is… but i would describe it as a Subject…

Well so i will learn some grammar in the next few days and prepare for my trip :slight_smile:

so with my very basic Kanji knowledge i will try to learn some gramar on Jpod, also i activated Vacation mode right now for a week so in that time i will 100% prioritize myself on learning only grammar and basic sentences as i think that saying something like

私ハポランド人です
エイドイアンです
… with Desu at the end may sound like

I Polish
Me Adrian
Veri gud japan
I know that these above are grammatically correct but its just weird to speak like that

also i checked Duolingo in Polish,English,German and i must say…
Duolingo thinks that i am a Beginner in the German Language meanwhile i have an A2 certificate and am finishing my homework and a project in chemistry fully in german…
When it comes to the polish Duolingo i must say that i never thought that
“I’m a potato” means i’m eating poatoes in polish… :crazy_face:
Also with my almost no Russian language knowledge with a few words which are similar to polish Duolingo categorized me as “Advanced Russian Speaker”…

anyways thanks for the help :wink:

1 Like

A quick way to avoid the “4 words ending with です” thing is to use で and don’t stop the sentence. で functions like です in that sense but it keeps the flow going. The next level up is using the て form for your verbs so those sentences can continue as well, but my guess is you’re not at that point yet.

ポーランド人で、エイドリアンです。

Well what i found something

This is just amazing!! now i can fully structure basic sentences with this

エイドイアンはのりこをにちようびにえきで見ました (i know that i messed up as time should be first but it still better than i expected)
it should be something like
Adrian has seen Noriko at the train station on Sunday

so its basically really amazing how this works… this kinda reminds me when i tried to learn Turkish which one of my best buddies speaks :wink:

also this article is just amazing… dark magic of the Japanese grammar described as it would be 1+1 = 2

5 Likes

I think your knowledge of kanji will really help when it comes to understanding written text e.g in class, signs and places like restaurants, however knowing basic grammar will help you have conversations with people which is also important… Misa has really helped me, she has both a youtube channel and a blog & her lessons are pretty easy :-
How To Build A Sentence In Japanese: The Ultimate Guide
#1 は & です Japanese Grammar Lesson for Absolute Beginners - YouTube

3 Likes

Well i am kinda of a lone-wolf who would rather listen to some chilly music with a fan blowing full blast at him and read some grammar think about it… print 2-3 pages just to put them on my pinboard so i won’t forget about them and will have it prioritized :wink:

I like video lessons but my main issue with them is that sometimes i want to look at a picutre or a text explaning it and just sit there for 5-6 minutes and look at it just simply think and try to memorize it :slight_smile:
anyways i will check it out, today i’m a free man with a whole 24h for myself no work, school etc :smiley:

It’s true that basic kanji probably has the most effect on the streets, where you’ll see lots of signs… though in a city like Tokyo, you will be completely able to follow the English anywhere you need to go. Even in smaller cities you’ll be fine, but in Tokyo there’s no doubt the signs will have English.

Well, in some parts of Tokyo like deep inside of them i won’t actually be able to get and read anything because not a lof of things there will be in English, but my Kanji knownledge and Jisho with a drawing board to draw kanji in will help me to survive even in the most hardcore native clubs :wink:

I’m talking about signs designed to help you navigate, not like, the store signs and whatnot, though those might also have English sometimes.

Ahh, i thought that you were talking about these Banners like in Shibuya

and i will stay in Shibuya btw for next 3 weeks and my Language school will be exactly in the center of it :slight_smile:

Also i don’t want to be in Japan and keep eating Burger King just because my english skills are bad…
But just a look inside fast food chains to check if there’s something what Japan only has would be cool

Well, spoilers… the employees at Burger King probably don’t speak English, but you can probably order by pointing I guess.

Storefront kanji can be hard to read because of the designs, even if you know the kanji.

Well i know the numbers in Japanese :wink::wink:
i can read 20-30% of these so i’ll be fine…

last summer i survived in Russia where nobody could speak english in a small town for 2 days because the god damn train broke :smiley: so i’ll be alright

Well, good luck with whatever form works for you and safe travels :smiley::smiley::airplane:

The basic words of Polish and Russian are pretty similar. You probably know more Russian words by default than Japanese words by learning. Almost the same grammar and similar speech pacing, too. Same body language and intonations.

[quote=“Leebo, post:13, topic:18948”]
Well, spoilers… the employees at Burger King probably don’t speak English, but you can probably order by pointing I guess.
[/quote]Heh, I heard BK employees might be really weird sometimes. So inclined to follow their protocol that they ignore that the someone they talk to doesn’t speak the language.

well then just scream Domo Arigatou, i guess you’re speaking Japanese xDD

What do you mean?

This is an extremely useful diagram and website. Thank you for sharing, amakuzax! I’ve shared it with the rest of my Japanese-learning family.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.