Heatmap Stories! (WaniKani Activity Chart)

You can only see the last 100 edits, which, might be exceeded in the POLL thread :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Short history, I was subscribed for two years, burned out hard, and quit when the subscription ran out. After the extended break, I bought Lifetime during the sale last Januaryā€¦and proceeded to slack off for three months lol.

But since a few days I started doing reviews again, and today I came upon this kanji: č¢–

Looked hard at it, said to myself, ā€œNope, donā€™t recognize you,ā€ and clicked Skip. When it came back around later (reading) I had a gut feeling that it was 恗悅恆, and what do you know itā€™s right. A few items later the meaning comes around, and my fingers reflexively typed sleev (yes with that misspelling). AND IT WAS CORRECT.

And it was a burn too.

I am just astounded how it was a subconscious thing, and that I actually remembered somehow (despite the others Iā€™ve clearly forgottenā€”the leeches that are becoming even more leech-y now that theyā€™ve been untrained). But to me this is a small achievement, and I know that if I push on I can definitely, if slowly, reach level 60.

11 Likes

Man, this script is very special to me.

A month and a half ago, I had a stack of 1000 lessons and 1800 reviews. I started using the reorder script January 2020 to ā€˜learn fasterā€™, and you can see it eventually led to burnout and lesson ignoring. To say I was half-assing and cutting corners would be an understatement.

In May this year, though, I was browsing the forums and saw Kumiā€™s heatmap script. I installed it 'cuz Iā€™m a sucker for quantifying progress (the whole reason I used reorder script in the first place), and then I looked at and had a simple but serious realization.

ā€œIā€™VE WASTED SOOOO MUCH TIMEā€

This realization rekindled the original passion and urgency I had for learning Japanese way back when I started, in a way thatā€™s kind of indescribable.

So I started clearing the piles. As many reviews as I could possibly do at first, then adding in lessons after reviews were manageable. 2-4 hours a day. By the end of the first week, the review stack was goneā€“and by the end of the second, I added in lessons, too.

Now, I think Iā€™m back on track. I have only about 100 lessons (from the most recent level up), and Iā€™m zeroing my reviews every night :grin:
Iā€™m also doing daily listening and reading practice again, which I hadnā€™t done for a while.

So thanks, @Kumirei. You helped rekindle my love for Japanese.

10 Likes

Good job! Now donā€™t break that streak winko

5 Likes

New Heatmap update. Last one was 505 days ago lmao.
Seeing this makes me reconsider why Iā€™m even doing all this. I didnā€™t really expect anything but I thought Iā€™d be a bit further with Japanese by now but I didnā€™t really invest the time I could have so thereā€™s that.
However, I wont ever go to Japan nor did I have a reason why I started. But unlike most other things I tried that I was never able to make a habit and keep up with long-term like programming, playing an instrument or other hobbies and such, of all things Japanese is what stuck. :joy:

7 Likes

Fun?

3 Likes

Hehe, absolutely! It wasnā€™t meant too seriously else I wouldnā€™t still be here after all. :grin:

3 Likes

The amount of reviews have dropped to the point where Iā€™m only visiting WK twice a week. Only had 26 reviews this entire month. Gave up on keeping a streak, not enough reviews to keep it going.

12 Likes

Slowly making my way to 60 with lots of little breaks in between for university and work! Hopefully will hit 60 by the end of the year.

8 Likes

Very reminiscent of my own heatmap!

5 Likes

i just want to share mine lol

10 Likes

Love the heatmap. No gaps yet :partying_face:

8 Likes

Hereā€™s what mine currently looks like. You can see my thesis deadline in July and the 1.5 week I went on vacation in October. Other than that thereā€™s not much to see, aside from me gradually leveling up slower the further I get :grin:

8 Likes

My streak broke today. I was too busy shopping and fretting and worrying about stuff that I just kinda forgot about WK lol. Well I just get like 60 reviews per day now so I guess itā€™s about time to slowly move on from WK and focus more on my Anki decks and immersion.

6 Likes

Today I reached a milestone: 1000 days of clearing my reviews.
(Iā€™m on the 6-year plan, aiming for consistency rather than speed.)

The light colours are where I dropped back to 1 lesson per day instead of quitting.

8 Likes

I could make a joke about viola players and speedā€¦ :smiley: because Iā€™m one myself :slight_smile: nice profile picture!
By the way, I started learning in
:slight_smile:

Never too late to start or continue anything, keep it up!

ps: what do viola players and lightning have in common? ā€¦ They never hit the same spot twice! :wink:

3 Likes

Another milestone today: 1000 days of lessons at my snailā€™s pace.

Thanks to @Kumirei
:bowing_man:

9 Likes

Oh my, that is very impressive! Must be a record lesson streak

5 Likes

Woah the 1000 lesson streak is really impressive

4 Likes

I donā€™t have any reviews to do today. I think this is going to break my streak even though I tried :frowning:

6 Likes