Have You Ever Wondered

how many possible On’yomi there are? Do you feel like there are an endless number of on’yomi for these pesky Kanji?

Well I did some checking, cross-referencing and then re-checking :blush: Eventually I came up with this list of 331 possible on’yomi. Of course, let me know if there are any mistakes you find. (Just to be clear, I only checked with the 2136 jouyou Kanji. More obscure Kanji may have more obscure on’yomi.) I hope this helps!

16 Likes

And now I’m curious about the frequency of said onyomi…

6 Likes

I wondered about that a lot! I started to use a previously learned kanji as a mnemonic for a new kanji with the same reading and it worked wonders for me.

2 Likes

Here’s a chart of onyomi sorted by how many kanji have that reading.

http://funbit.info/kanji/readings/on_table_by_freq.html

12 Likes

Do you know what the different colors mean?

School year in which the kanji is learnt - there’s a key down the bottom. Green = first grade, red = high school.

2 Likes

It basically separates the jouyou kanji (which is all of them) into the kyouiku kanji (elementary school kanji, everything but red) and everything else (red). Within elementary they are also broken down by grade.

1 Like

No this does not help at all. It makes learning Japanese Kanji seem like an even more insurmountable task.

I also do that for vocab. I create mnemonics that contains a little story linking kanji and vocab with the same or similar pronunciation. :slight_smile:

I wonder whether Japanese have tongue-twisters that link kanji with the same or similar reading, something like:

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

1 Like

You’re already level 35, you’re more than half way there, so don’t talk like that!

Matter of fact, you’ve been trough the worst part already. :slight_smile:

1 Like

貴社の記者は汽車で帰社した。

Whoa-oh, livin’ on a prayer!

5 Likes

Oh that’s fun! :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.