Has anyone tried Prismatext?

So I stumbled upon an add for Prismatext today https://prismatext.com/
The concept seems interesting, but I would like to know if anyone has tried it, and if so, what did you think of it?

2 Likes

It’s definitely an interesting idea (interleaving words from the language you’re learning into text written in the language you already know). I don’t think it would work well for Japanese, though, since the grammar is so different. It might help for vocabulary, but not much else, I don’t think. For languages with similar grammar, though, it might be useful.

4 Likes

It’s already a thing for adding kanji into text in your browser, no? I don’t remember the name, though.

2 Likes

Does Prisma even support Japanese?

As far as the Diglot-Weave method, I read a paper on it that had a very short sample size and did not appear to attempt to rule out variables. In fact, the methodology was summarized such:

“An economical way of dealing with the data is
decreasing the volume of it from hundred of test sheets of paper into a score group and finally into a graph.
Therefore, the following table shows the means and standard deviations of test scores for two groups.”

When you economize data, you lose data - that is inevitable, but worse, you lose the opportunity to analyze the lost data to account for variables. Two of the largest variables among language learners is their age, and if their native language is Latin derived or not, and neither of these appear to be addressed.

We can cut out the middleman of the Diglot-Weave method and simply state that reading is the single most efficient method of language instruction. Even if interweaving parts of your native language into the target language would improve immediate comprehension, I don’t feel it provides the long-term benefits of rapid communication that is only achieved through monolingual instruction.

4 Likes

All your comments make complete sense, I’ll stick to reading Japanese books in Japanese :grin:

1 Like

It’s already a thing for adding kanji into text in your browser, no? I don’t remember the name, though.

Could it be https://jointoucan.com/ ?

Honestly I understand where the idea comes from but I don’t think it would work in practice.

Even their demo illustrates the problem.

Livres break the shackles of time.

This is neither English nor French. In French you’d have to say ‘Les livres’ for it to be correct. It would be equivalent to saying ‘The books’ in English but that would make the grammar wrong.

4 Likes

This thread reminds me of when I started learning German in middle school and kids would take “geht’s” from “wie geht’s?” (how are you, literally “how goes it?”), thinking that geht’s meant “are you” literally. They then would take “Tag!” a slang for “hi!” and mix them together saying “geht’s Tag??” The cheeky 13 year olds thought that they were asking “are you high?”

5 Likes

It was this: WaniKanify 2.0 - Chrome Extension

Oh, no

5 Likes

This is actually not a bad thing per se, but it’s also the opposite of what is proposed by Diglot-Weave, which is to intersperse your native language into the target language for more immediate comprehension. Slowly replacing your native language with the target language is the correct mindset (but in application doesn’t always work well, as others have pointed out), but the substitution shouldn’t really be going the other way.

Who is talking about that, what OP linked is basically this, afaik.

Sorry I wasn’t clarifying what I was saying, I have a habit of multitasking while distracted.

Focusing on the actual issue, as others have pointed out:

There äș”月 be pitfalls associated with this method.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.