Grape sugar fruit sugar liquid sugar = high fructose corn syrup?

How does high fructose corn syrup become something to do with grapes? And needs three sugars? Feel like there’s a bit of interesting history I’m missing here.

2 Likes

HFCS is a combination of glucose (ブドウ糖) and fructose (果糖) so that’s not surprising. And presumably 液糖 is their way of saying “syrup”. Another name for HFCS is glucose-fructose syrup.

So we have “three sugars” in one of our names for it too, but because of historical factors the “sugar” meaning gets hidden in the words to a certain extent.

5 Likes

The overall term for HFCS is 異性化糖 (isomerized sugar), the one from the WK example sentence is a specific type with a fructose content of less than 50% according to Wikipedia, which may be used in food more often although the Wikipedia article says that 果糖ブドウ糖液糖 (fructose content between 50% and 90%) is most common as an additive in food.

1 Like

Huh, curious. In my dictionary, it’s 加糖ブドウ糖液糖. According to Wikipedia, though, ブドウ糖果糖液糖 has a fructose ratio of less than 50%, while 加糖ブドウ糖液糖 has a ratio between 50% and 90%.

Edit: Gah. Leebo’d, But not by Leebo, even though he posted before me.

4 Likes

Thanks for all your answers guys. Didn’t realise there was glucose in it as well. I think I now understand why it’s called high fructose corn syrup.

Funny I just learned 異性, now I’m going to add isomerism as a synonym.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.