Grammar Books for Self-Learners

@solidquartz You’ve pretty much just listed all the books I love.

Glad to see someone else who loves the Try series as much as I do. I have the N4 and N3 books. I’m planning to go back through the N4 and try to understand the Japanese explanations this time so I can eventually learn grammar using Japanese.

I have the Sou Matome N3 book for listening practice as well as the 500 questions book. I also have the Shin Kanzen grammar book for N3 to work through.

@angietom31 I second @solidquartz recommendation about reading as soon as you can, it really does help to see everything in practice.

There are many different book clubs on the forum here from Absolute Beginner to Advanced.

Personally I started with graded readers before I started attempting to read native material. If you’ve never heard of them they’re books specifically written for foreign learners of Japanese. Since they’re for learners they use controlled language and grammar so that the difficulty gradually builds as you go through the levels. They’re a good stepping stone to help ease you into reading Japanese as you can read them alongside your grammar studies to get a bit of confidence.

There’s a graded readers book club as such here on the forums as well if you want to look into them more.

A book I like as a quick reference to supplement my grammar studies is Japanese the Manga way, I wouldn’t use it as your main source of grammar though. I’d use it to read through just to get a different perspective on the grammar.

5 Likes