Going fast is the most efficient way to wanikani

going slow messes up Wanikani SRS system. because it’s timmed to give you reviews when your about to forget them. so the longer you put off reviews the more likely you are to forget them.

going fasi is like when sonic is running and he hits a speed boost he gets boosted forwards.

but going slow is like missing the speed bump getting hit by tree monkey and losing your rings. you have to start over

7 Likes

I don’t think it necessarily messes with it but you might end up leveling slower but that’s not always a bad thing, you might retain better if you go slower but it also depends on the person, some may learn better going slow and some may learn better going fast.

It very much depends on the person I think :slightly_smiling_face:

14 Likes

Personally, I like going fast because I like pain but I have to chime in still.
There are better and worse ways to go slower. You could, for example, do way fewer lessons, maybe only 10 every 2 days but keep doing reviews every day. This will lift your burden but still make sure the SRS can work its magic.
Saying it flat out doesn’t work to go slow might be a bit to general imho :speak_no_evil:

14 Likes

Damn. It took me 4 years and 3 months to get to level 60… should I restart and try to do it in a year?

18 Likes

What I mean is doing reviews slowly. messes up Wanikanis srs.

6 Likes

That is fine and completely correct! It’s hard to read that out of your post though, which is why people are coming to defend slow-going.
Doing your reviews as soon and as consistently as you can is the canon “right” way of doing WK

18 Likes

Doing reviews slowly messes up the timing of the Wanikani algorithm. if you had done your reviews on time, you would remember a lot more as the algorithm is tuned to give you reviews just before you forget.

To me, what you wrote in your post sounds more like you’re saying that putting off your reviews for a really long time will make things harder, which I don’t think anyone actually disagrees with. That doesn’t seem like the same thing as “going fast” though, since “going fast” at least to me feels like it would imply doing a lot of lessons too, while all you’re saying in your post basically seems to be that people shouldn’t do a lot of lessons if they don’t have time to do all of the reviews they will get if they do that many lessons.

As for the “going fast” thing, I personally think the best way to do it is to do as many lessons as you feel you can handle without significantly impacting other aspects of your life(or other parts of learning Japanese), while also making sure that you’ll be able to handle the amount of reviews those lessons will give you. Whether that is a fast or a slow pace is completely up to each person’s individual circumstances :slight_smile:

24 Likes

I think it’s a little presumptuous to believe that wanikani’s SRS system somehow has the optimal timing for giving you reviews before you forget. In fact, I think it’s completely arbitrary. What’s important is that you keep a steady pace on doing your reviews, just like any other thing in life you want to get good at. If you end up forgetting some words because you took a little too long to review them, that’s just another opportunity to reinforce the learning.

14 Likes

I do it at a faster pace myself, but there’s nothing wrong doing it slower. If you mess up, you keep getting the same words over and over and learn them eventually. Not everybody can commit the same amount of time to WK… one of my friends is married, I’m single, and we have different things going on. She’s going slower and making just fine progress.

1 Like

That’s exactly what an SRS is for

I think they’re saying that maybe WaniKani’s SRS system isn’t the most optimal system for everyone, since everyone is different.

4 Likes

WK doesn’t have an ‘algorithm’ timing like you seem to think it does. It does not adjust itself to the user like iKnow or Anki do, and is very arbitrary.

4 Likes

There are different kinds of going slow though. One would be delaying reviews until later, but the other would be not adding everything in all at once. Imo the second one is the best kind of going slow as it helps you not do the first one and also go at whatever pace works for you.

1 Like

I don’t really have any to say because other people already voiced my thoughts, I just thought the post was really funny. Got heavy sanic vibes from it

ive been going fast for 4 years straight now kid, fast is all i know, fast is my life my energy my dream my sanic. those demon tree monkeys stopping my ascent to kanji heaven

4 Likes

Taken from that article

Basically, an SRS will adjust when you review something based on your performance (did you get it right? Kind of right? Wrong?) using what’s called the spacing effect. You develop a stronger memory when you recall something right before you forget it. A good spaced repetition algorithm will line reviews up in this important window, allowing you to review your flashcards at the most efficient moment possible.

I’m not sure what your point is, but the intervals on WK are:

SRS Level Next Level Total Wait Review
Apprentice 1 4h - Lesson
Apprentice 2 8h 4h 1
Apprentice 3 ~1d 12h 2
Apprentice 4 ~2d 1d 11h 3
Guru 1 ~1w 3d 10h 4
Guru 2 ~2w 1w 3d 9h 5
Master ~1M 3w 3d 8h 6
Enlightened ~4M 7w 5d 7h 7
Burned - 24w 6d 6h 8

These intervals are used for everybody and for all items, regardless of how difficult or easy a specific user finds them. As algorithms go, this is a very ‘stupid’ algorithm, especially compared to the iKnow or the Anki algorithms, which change with every one of your answers.

17 Likes

Just realized the matrix green characters are just random arabic numerals mixed with random katagana.

I’m new here.

2 Likes

Maybe they mean this thread is satire/a joke? :thinking:

1 Like

They mean this:

2 Likes