Going fast is the most efficient way to wanikani

Oh, I thought so at first, but I didn’t see it… What part was supposed to be a straw man?

1 Like

The fact that we’re ‘debating’ how good the WK SRS intervals are, in a discussion about how you should do your reviews as soon as they pop up.

At least that’s how I’m understanding their main point. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Wow, I just had a deja vu. I think I’ve read something similar to this topic somewhere on WaniKani. :hear_no_evil:

3 Likes

That’s how I read the first post. Follow-up responses didn’t really seem to suggest otherwise.

1 Like

Ah, ok now I get it.
But yeah, as much as you want to do your reviews everyday, “as soon as they pop up” is definitely overkill. The fact that the WK SRS is kinda meh is one reason indeed, so I feel it fits the conversation.
Another reason is that, if your item was 4 months in the pipeline, a few hours more or less aren’t going to do anything.

3 Likes

He said this

But then dismissed the comments about how it’s just the same for everyone, so not really tuned at all… so yeah, I don’t think a serious discussion was intended.

8 Likes

Wanikani adjusts your next review time based on whether or not you get the review right or wrong, how many times you have gotten it right, etc… that is the SRS Algorithm. You can read about it in the wanikani overview thing.

3 Likes

Leebo can detect a troll a kilometre away. Nice work captain! Why do you think he is posting this?

I never said it wasn’t an algorithm, but rather that it’s a stupid one that doesn’t really take into account how many times you’ve answered an item and how long it took you to answer an item after it became available for reviewing.

The WK case:

• lesson
  • wait 4 hours: apprentice 1 review
  • fail apprentice 1 review
  • wait 4 hours
  • wait 4 hours
  • not do the apprentice 1 review for 6 months
  • answer apprentice 1 review correctly
  • item proceeds to apprentice 2
  • wait 8 hours

A smarter algorithm would do something like this:

• lesson
  • wait 4 hours: apprentice 1 review
  • wait 3 hours
  • wait 2 hours
  • wait 1 hours
  • not do the apprentice 1 review for 6 months
  • answer apprentice 1 review correctly
  • item proceeds to Enlightened
  • wait 4 months to Burn it

The only thing on WK that determines an item’s SRS stage is what it was before your current review session and whether you answered correctly or how many times you made a mistake.

5 Likes

I would say that WaniKani’s SRS is more of an assessment scheduling algorithm than it is a learning/review scheduling algorithm. Meaning that it’s primary function is to determine the user’s level of mastery. Do you reckon that is a meaningful distinction?

I’m just starting, and biased towards the level of flexibility afforded by Anki, but I’m thinking I might treat WaniKani as a scheduled assessment engine that controls the release of new material, and rely on Anki for my SRS.

1 Like

I understand that. I know how it works… sorry, I don’t think I conveyed my message clearly, I think. I’m just arguing that it’s ok to go slower. Extra context that may have helped is that my friend gets a lot of items wrong (usually scores in the 70-80% range) and items pile up for her after a few levels and becomes overwhelming, so she has to stop doing new items until she gets rid of the stockpiled ones.

What the heck, my head just combusted. How did I never see this???

1 Like

For a lot of items, I find the WK intervals work well enough for learning. Other times, though, they’re either too long or not long enough, and then yeah, it ends up being an assessment tool.

Beautiful. Watched it 5x, would watch it again.

1 Like

+1. I have no other SRS based app to compare WK to, so sticking with the ones on the site works fine for me.

and now the real purpose for this post: is your avatar a pistachio?

3 Likes

Ah man I think you’re right, I always thought it was a venus fly trap

4 Likes

yes it is

3 Likes

Neither do I.

11 Likes