Go-to reading - When you don`t know what the reading is, what is your go-to safe bet? Mine is either KOUこう or SHYOU - しょう

Somebody hasn’t gotten to 嗚呼嗚呼 yet :ghost:

3 Likes

But mine has three あs. Also, I’m gonna start using 嗚呼 for everything now.

2 Likes

Right now for me its either しょう or しゅう. If i’m feeling particularly desperate I’ll throw in a し.

1 Like

Pretty sure that would be イイイイイイイイ.

5 Likes

I always write phoenetic curses to make sure I get it wrong. Though that worked once for 室 so now I don’t use that one.

4 Likes

I usually write idk when they’re asking for a kanji or vocab meaning that I’ve forgotten and か for a reading I don’t know. Not because I think it’s a common reading that gives me a better chance to get right, but because of the question particle function. It’s basically my circuitous way of giving a reading as ‘?’

It’s frustrating when that turns out to be the actual answer, unintentionally. Don’t want to skew the SRS.

3 Likes

This is funny. I thought I’m the only one who has a “go to” reading and everyone else just really know their stuff. XD Mine are shi, kou, and shou. :smiley:

1 Like

Pressing a + enter to mark it as wrong.
Whats the point in trying to guess an answer?

2 Likes

I put in n and hit enter.

1 Like

Everyone is on the ‘I never guess’ (educated guess or not) high horse. My goodness…

I just put し because I’m already dead at this point

Huh?

I just type ki き. Not really to guess though, just because I have to type something.

For me, guessing has the chance to reinforce a bad reading (hello, 多), so I prefer not to guess.

Doesn’t mean I’m not blithely convinced that I know the answer, but am wildly wrong…:thinking::confounded:

I tend to guess しょう or こう as well. That’s why I feel a bit cheated when the answer is こ, not こう。

If I have an educated guess, as in I think I might know the answer, then yes, I put it in… But if I don’t remember at all, if I have no idea, then I don’t guess because it can reinforce the wrong answer. If that is a high horse, I’ll proudly sit on it and look out over my domain, the world where I know all answers. :joy:

2 Likes

But what about that shadowy place over there?

2 Likes

That might be an elephant graveyard. So sad, but I will laugh to hide it.

1 Like

Observation relevant to this thread… it does seem like my brain keeps reasonable track of whether a kanji has a “common” or “weird” reading, even if it doesn’t retain the specific reading. So if I’m going to make a guess on something, it’s usually in that context. (And my “common” guess is usually either こう or し, depending on whether Kouichi or sheep seem more impertinent.)

For example, long review session this morning. I didn’t remember specifically who put the lid on the talking mustache, but I knew vaguely that 高 has a fairly generic reading, so I guessed accordingly. And on the other hand, I knew that 欠 had a rather unusual reading and I probably wasn’t lacking either Kouichis or sheep, so I just put in ううう.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.