Geoguessr for immersion?

I’m a fan of speedrunning and recently have been watching RTA in Japan’s streams of Geoguessr for immersion/listening practice. Wondered what people thought about playing the game as part of a study routine: worth it, not worth it?

If you do play already, do you have any tips/wisdom?

ありがとうございます

2 Likes

I doubt it would add much for immersion. I don’t think there’s much text to speak of beyond some menu items, most of the interaction is with a map.

Also can you even set the language to Japanese? I can’t, at least.

Worth it just because it can be a whole lot of fun.

Lately I’ve been playing this trains stations of Japan map a lot. :slightly_smiling_face: Locations are chosen such that your starting position is always in sight of a train station’s name sign. Which, to be fair, makes it easier, but on the other hand, it means you’re never just plonked in the middle of wilderness Hokkaido.

Soooo… maybe pick a map of Japan. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

I mean, fun idea but is that really immersion? :joy:

I did once beat a colleague at one of the daily challenges because I could read the signs, so maybe there’s something to that? :thinking:

1 Like

I think that’s a great idea! I tried this a long time ago, but I didn’t know very many kanji back then (this was before I started WK) so it wasn’t really useful for studying, and I ended up being bad at guessing where I was because I couldn’t read any signs :pensive: I’m curious how I’d do now.

If you’re testing yourself for if you can read street signs / place names / store signs, I think it would be a helpful and fun study game as long as:

3 Likes

Awesome thanks so much :smile:

For Hokkaido the main tell apparently is the wider roads and arrows above the road pointing down. Finding where you are on the island though is a whole other thing haha

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.