Genki 2 Study Buddies

I just realised we may have diff versions of Genki. I’m not sure how much they differ but I’m sure we can figure it out as we go along

From my understanding, the biggest differences are in how grammar points are explained and the exercises are a little different. As long as the topics are the same, it shouldn’t be too much difficult to manage.

1 Like

Yeah I’m not very tech savy, but if you’re willing to set something up, that’s great!
I’m okay with starting next week and I like the wiki idea. I think we also need a way to be able to voice call or video chat for speaking practice too.

I have the 2nd edition, which I heard is not that different from the 3rd edition. I’m not sure about the 1st edition though

I’d love to give this a try as well! Might help to keep me motivated on my goals. I’m also JST

1 Like

I’m assuming that most of us are using the 2nd or 3rd edition. (Personally, I have the 3rd edition.) Apparently there are some additional reading exercises in the 3rd edition but other than that the exercises seem to be pretty much the same. I think it will be okay. :wink:

2 Likes

I love Tokini Andy! He’s really great at explaining things that don’t make sense in Genki for anyone who needs clarifications

2 Likes

lots of great ideas here!

It sounds like the differences in Genki Editions are relatively minor (I have 2nd Ed since I bought it pre-3rd and then… time went by). My experience with previous study groups is that people don’t do all the exercises together anyway, so the most important thing is that we’re sharing the same grammar points and themes so that we can ask questions, stay accountable, and motivated to make progress.

I wonder if instead of creating a new discord, what do you think about joining an existing one? Pros: Already setup and moderated :slight_smile: we just have to add a bit of organisation and it should be less effort to meet than setting up from scratch.

here is an invite link to a large, active, and well organised one: Genki Club

How about we join them and do voice chats on their Group Event channel or ask to create a study group channel? Does anyone want to be the one to organise and moderate those? Or one could organise and someone else could moderate. I’ll have my hands full pushing forward the weekly schedule here

1 Like

Just made a discord account and suddenly I’m feeling very old. :joy:

[Edit: I like the idea of joining an already existing group. Seems very convenient. Sorry, I don’t think I’m capable managing group activities yet. I’m very busy using my fax machine and organizing my floppy disks.]

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy:
yes, so happy I’m not the only one.

I joined last year and was like, wtf, I thought you’d have to be twice my age to feel so out of touch with tech :sob:

2 Likes

参加したいです!:sparkles::raised_hands::sparkles: I’m on CST. Hehehe. I’m currently on Minna no Nihongo 初級2, but I’ve had Genki 2 in the past. I’ll just have to buy it.

3 Likes

I can do either to help out!

2 Likes

I’d like to join this.
Having a schedule and a group sounds great!

I was thinking about ordering Genki 2, but hadn’t.
Now I have, but I won’t get it in time to start next week. I’ll join in the week after and catch up.

2 Likes

やった !!! :smile: this will be fun!

you’re a saint, that’s grand! I’m sure once we get started more people will help, too

the more the merrier :wave: thanks for joining, too!!!

1 Like

Hey everyone!
@pyr_3 @lilyvsstar @Delphynia @TheGabbys @AViking @gamerpainter @Rigansginger @illumin

The study group is live:

4 Likes

Same here. Only in my 20s, but trying to log in to discord was qutie the hassle :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Contemplated joining this, but just wanted to chime in to say, to get around the Genki version issue, someone with a digital version of 3rd edition can just screencast their PDF viewer, that is totes fine for educational purposes (you just can’t record the session and upload it to a social media site).

2 Likes

I have the 3rd edition digital if anyone wants, I can try this

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.